GPU explained

Hello all,

So in testing my game I am seeing the GPU Latency percentage and am a little confused by what it represents and how to improve it.

I understand that the more lights/dynamic shadows, complex geometry, 2D shaders and such the more the game will depend on the GPU. What I don’t understand is what exactly is the GPU? Is it just my graphics card? So a better graphics card will result in a faster GPU processing speed and not run risk of frame rate drop due to it.

Am I correct, or wrong? I have been trying to research it on the Internet the past few days but I have not found a result that I really understood.

thanks,
-KB

You can read more about the profiler on the wiki here.

CPU = central processing unit
GPU = graphical processing unit

In general you measure instructions per time. As faster it is as more instructions it can process within the same time.

Frame = bunch of operations. All operations that needs to be done to render a complete image. This includes IO, Physics, Logic, Render …

What has that to do with CPU/GPU? They are the workers. Some operations are done in the CPU others are done in the GPU. All operations together determine the length of a frame.

Frame rate: number of frames within a second.
To get a stable animation you determine a target frame rate. In games usually 60 frames per second.
Simple math tells you that all operations should not exceed 1s/60. If they do, you get the famous lag, resulting in stuttering animation or missing images.

How to avoid lags: Ensure both CPU and GPU do not get too much work at any time. So it is important to know what increases workload of both of them and how to reduce it if necessary. The important point is: if necessary.

When you develop a game keep in mind, not everyone as your hardware. You should develop that your game does not get lags at the minimum requirements.

Ah okay thanks Monster that clears it up for me.