GPU rendering

ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/Movies/FX-Composer-Intro.avi

Check out this stuff, it is all in realtime, I think it should be worked into blender somehow. It could allow us all torender out test scenes so much faster and provide a working form to increase animations.

Now this stuff can not be for everyone yet as it requires a CG card that has pixel shaders,which in the PC world will cost ya around 100$ and in OSX 250…

But it is something worth every single penny it costs for that card and if you are in the industry to make money with blender then I would think that ANYTHING that will increase your production amount in work hours to work putout would greatly beinfit all.

My only knowledge ofit all is that it is not easy for the developers and they currently can not deside if a new shader system is needed or ifso what system to use… please provide more light on this

given a faster technique, wouldn’t you ask more of it?

didn’t look that amazing if you ask me

Alltaken

I’m not convinced this stuff will be useful to anyone for a while.

What would be good is for Blender to have a “OpenGL preview” render button, so you could simply record the output from the camera as the OpenGL viewport to an avi, and play it back, because even on really fast machines Alt-A doesn’t seem to match realtime for anything but the simplest thing (and when it does you think “ooo - I can add more then”).

press Ctrl when you press the Anim button. you might be pleasently suprised.

this has been a feature in blender for a long long time.

Alltaken

Alltaken[/quote]

Ya but that preview rendersucks eggsas it provide no real good color at all. The whole point of this wouldbe to change or add to the preview screen at a much greater detail. Plus things like caustics AOand hdri could be through the CG card so much faster than blenders render engine

I love it when that happens!

I love it when that happens![/quote]

LOL it always pisses me off coz if i find out a feature like that it means i wanted it for so long.

:cry:

Alltaken

Alltaken[/quote]

Ya but that preview rendersucks eggsas it provide no real good color at all. The whole point of this wouldbe to change or add to the preview screen at a much greater detail. Plus things like caustics AOand hdri could be through the CG card so much faster than blenders render engine[/quote]
yes, the graphics card would be faster than blender [assuming they both did things the same way, which they don’t]

but for those features, it would not be real time

DirectX.

BLEAH!

Well, I for one believe Blender’s realtime rendering engine should be upgraded soon. This is one of those things that need to be constantly updated to have any chance of catching up or staying in step with the competition.

I was recently working on some realtime projects, and hit several big problems, that characterize a rendering engine already years old.
Just one example: only ONE texture can be assigned to a face (with UV). Which means you can’t have a reflection and another texture on the same object in the game engine! There are other problems as well, and I haven’t even mentioned such things as pixel and vertex shaders, which should also be implemented sooner or later.

Oh, and another thing: the Texture preview is NOT the same as the game, and it should be. (Eg: negative light sources work in the game, but in the OpenGL preview, they show up as positive lights.)

Blenders game engine really could use work, i’m hoping it will someday have a much more effecient way to script things and graphical capabilities like the Torque engine.

'nuff said.

'nuff said.[/quote]
nobody said this wasn’t possible with opengl 1.5 or 2.0

'nuff said.[/quote]
nobody said this wasn’t possible with opengl 1.5 or 2.0[/quote]

We never said that, we were just stating that DirectX is well…evil.

(BTW, doesn’t this forum have a search function…we’ve been over this subject 2 or 3 times before)

'nuff said.[/quote]
nobody said this wasn’t possible with opengl 1.5 or 2.0[/quote]

We never said that, we were just stating that DirectX is well…evil.

(BTW, doesn’t this forum have a search function…we’ve been over this subject 2 or 3 times before)[/quote]

Ya but topics get old and a new one has to be created. This is a serious subject for the future of Blender. Most of the industry is jumping to the GPU and in fact it is an old tech just starting to get very popular now. And Blender being open Source Really needs to show that it is cutting edge without copying another feature from someone.

I know that there will be lots of bugs and lots of extra stuff to make it useable but it has to start at some point. I just wish there was more outside support :?

maybe you know this, maybe you dont
http://www.bee-www.com/parthenon/

ah, i thought it is open source…

It does seem a shame, that we have very powerful graphic cards out there for $100 - $200, and we can’t use them.

Anyone knows if there’s any aproach on an OpenGL-based renderer?