GPUShader: linking error?

Hey, in the game engine viewport, when adding a spot lamp a few objects in the scene turn pitch black and deleting the lamp doesn’t undo the problem. The system console reports the following error:

GPUShader: linking error:
Fragment shader(s) failed to link.
Fragment link error: HW_UNSUPPORTED.
Fragment Shader not supported by HW

What is the cause of the problem and how do I fix it?
Thanks

Sounds interesting. Is your graphics card alright? Have you updated your drivers recently?

EDIT: What version of Blender are you using? Also, what OS?

Usually this means that the shader program was too long or there were too many textures or parameters passed to it. This is more likely to happen on older hardware or with a custom shader.

I am running a Radeon 5970 with AMD Catalyst 13.11 beta v9.2 with AMD APP SDK 2.9. Windows Blue/8.1 Enterprise build 9600 x64. Blender 2.69.0 r60995. Might be something to do with beta drivers, but I had this problem once or twice on Windows 7 so I don’t think windows 8 is the problem.

I don’t have any custom shaders on any objects, and the problem occurs while adding a spot lamp, not running the game… Not sure if it would be because of too many textures because I only have 5 or 6 in the scene.

EDIT: Enabling Z-Transparency on everything fixes it…? Strange…
2nd EDIT: Seems it only fixes the visual error. The error still shows in the console.

Yo, I’m pushing this back up to the top to say that I recently ran into this issue with Blender 2.69 Release (not sure about the more recent ones), and I think I might know what’s going on. It seems like it might have something to do with using variance shadows with alpha clip-enabled objects…? I can’t reproduce it in a simpler scene, though, so I’m not sure - it seems to happen when I switch a sun lamp to variance in Valchion.

EDIT: I also tried downgrading my graphics card driver (as they were on the latest version already), and it didn’t help. So, I’m pretty sure it’s something to do with the Blender scene.

I have been getting a similar error in the console with 2.69. Although I have no alpha objects in the scene it does happen with a change to a sun lamps variance shadows, turning them on/off for instance. gpu is a amd 7950

Exact error (GPUFrameBuffer: framebuffer incomplete error 1282 ‘Invalid operation’)

The shadows still seem to need some ironing out for amd cards. I have weird stuff happen with shadows, like changing a shadows resolution will turn all the light shadows off in a scene etc.