Graph Editor and Dope Sheet Lag on Linux

(AR795) #1

Hi,

I am a windows user, but recently I have been checking out a few linux distros. I use blender frequently on my laptop, it has dual graphic cards (Intel HD 4600 & Nvidia 750M) but I have encountered a problem when using blender on linux. When I keyframe some objects for animation and then I switch over to the Graph Editor or Dope Sheet and try to select the keyframes and then grab and move them around, blender starts to lag and mouse movement becomes choppy. On windows this is not a problem and everything is smooth. I have checked with the default installations of Ubuntu, Fedora, Linux Mint, Elementary OS and different spins too like xubuntu, kubuntu but the same problem occurs in all of them. Surprisingly this problem does not occur on recent versions of manjaro (gnome, kde or xfce versions) and it is smooth like windows. Does anyone else encounter this issue? Is it related to graphic drivers (I used the default open source drivers on all distros)?

I used Blender version 2.79b

Thanks.

(BeerBaron) #2

(English is not my native language) #3

Hi.
is a notebook/laptop, right?

You from the Linux distro that more problems have, you open and use blender until it gets slow. Without closing Blender you open one Linux terminal and you share here the output of each of the following commands:
free -m

lspci | grep -iE 'vga|3D'

lshw -c video

What is the version of Windows that you use?
Why you do not use those versions of Linux where Blender works well?

(AR795) #4

Yes it is a laptop. I tested it with Fedora 28 and here is the output from the terminal:

$ free -m
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:          15951        1945        9942         477        4063       13183
Swap:             0           0           0

$ lspci | grep -iE 'vga|3D'
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 750M] (rev a1)

$ lshw -c video
  *-display                 
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GK107M [GeForce GT 750M]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: [email protected]:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       resources: irq:34 memory:c0000000-c0ffffff memory:90000000-9fffffff memory:a0000000-a1ffffff ioport:4000(size=128) memory:c1000000-c107ffff
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: [email protected]:00:02.0
       version: 06
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:31 memory:c2000000-c23fffff memory:b0000000-bfffffff ioport:5000(size=64) memory:c0000-dffff

I use Windows 10.

Well I was in the process of testing a few distros to see if things work out well. I guess I will go with manjaro since I did not encounter any issues on blender.

(AR795) #5

I take that open source drivers are problematic with blender?

(English is not my native language) #6

Have you configured any Swap partition at the time of distro installation?

Does the laptop have nvidia Optimus technology? You are using open source driver “nouveau” for your nvidia. For best performance you should install proprietary nvidia driver. You do not try to download .run file from nvidia site and install it. Most distributions (like Ubuntu) have a driver manager from where it detects your hardware and allows you to install proprietary driver. After doing so you must restart the system.

Edit:
For Fedora you see in forums new methods of installation of proprietary nvidia driver for new versions of Fedora.

(sozap) #7

I’m using official nvidia drivers and blender works fine.

(AR795) #8

Yes the laptop has Nvidia Optimus support. I will check out proprietary graphics drivers to see if it solves the issue. Thanks for helping.