Graph Editor Questions

Hi,

I’m getting a better idea of Blender these days and I really like it. Now I’m trying to customize things closer to match my previous workflow in Maya, especially for animation. There are a couple of things related to the Graph Editor I can’t figure out though:

1.) When a keyframe has an ‘uneven’ value of say 10.3 (in x) and I use Arrow-Up/Down to jump to next/previous key the cursor would go to frame 10 and not 10.3. It only seems to snap to absolute frames. This way it’s very hard to move multiple keyframes to uneven frames or column select a set of keys on an odd frame number. Maybe there’s a checkbox I missed somewhere?

2.) ‘Snap to current frame’ affects the handles of a keyframe or better said, doesn’t affect the handles even if they’re set to aligned. They pretty much stay where they were before snapping. Is there a way to work around this?

3.) Can the jump to next/previous keyframe be set so it only affects the selected channels in the Graph editor? E. g. only X Rotation and Y Location channels are selected and these are the keys I want to jump to and not all the keys of the selected object.

4.) In the Graph Editor: With the lasso and circle tool I can select keyframes and deselect their handles, with box select it won’t work. Is that how it’s intended to be or a bug?

5.) This is actually more of a suggestion. If I set ‘Auto xyz to RGB’ and I key LocRot I end up with curves having the same colours respectively for location and rotation. This exactly what I want (RGB) but if I select a key on either curve, for instance Loc X or Rot X I don’t see what channel the keys or the curves belong to, since both are red.

A dot next to the visible (eye) switch would be a great indicator. I know the info can be found in the property window which is a bit inconvenient since it involves several clicks and won’t work if multiple objects/bones are selected.

Any input on this is very much appreciated. Thanks!

You have a number of question here…

let answer the ones I know right off…

3.) Can the jump to next/previous keyframe be set so it only affects the selected channels in the Graph editor?

Yes…

on the left hand side panel where it list each channel you can click on the ‘eye’ icon to shut down that channel… now anything you do in the graph editor will only effect the ‘showing’ channels… (the channels with the eye open…)

also note that there are ‘lock’ icons on the right hand side of the channel list…
click those and the lock ‘locks’ that channel down from being edited…
this is great because some times you want a channel to be showing… but not edited…
for instance you might want two channels to line up exactly or pretty close so you leave one up to be seen but not edited while you edit the second channel to match the first…

In the Graph Editor: With the lasso and circle tool I can select keyframes and deselect their handles, with box select it won’t work.

I always have both the graph editor up ‘and’ the dope sheet…
generally speaking …
I always do my major key frame moving in the dope sheet…
Like the traditional dope sheets of the old animators…
the dope sheet is made for getting the timing right… (that is… moving frames around)
then I go to the graph editor to smooth out or harsh - out the animation curves…

you might find the dope sheet more friendly to work in when moving key frames around in…
I know I do…

I don’t know if you know this or not but if you go up to the top tool bar and click just to the left of where it says ‘default’ you will get a pull down menu with a list of desk tops there… there is one called animation… it has both the dope sheet and the graph editor opened up in there… so you don’t have to mess around building and arranging your own desk top just for animation…

Hey norvman, thanks for your suggestions. But even if I hide channels with the eye-icon, the ‘jump to next keyframe’ will not isolate the keyframes for the selected channel. Say you key LocRot on frame 1 on a cube, on frame 5 only Rot, on frame 8 only Loc, etc. If you hide all location channels, to work exclusively on the rotation, the ‘jump to next keyframe’ will also take the location keys into account, even though they’re not visible or selected in the graph editor. It seems all keyframes of a selected object/bone are affected. Or am I doing this wrong?

‘jump to next keyframe’ will also take the location keys into account,

aaaaaa… I see what you mean… I miss understood… hummmm… that’s interesting… I’ve never really noticed that before…