Graphic Card for Laptop supporting CUDA, GPU render

I’m going to buy a notebook, and I would like to use it for 3D animation, with blender 3d.
I’m trying to find out what the best graphic card is for this purpose.
I doen’t need any options for gaming.
Just good openGL and CUDA support.
Good cycle render options.

I’ve contacten Nvidia and they recommended a graphic card from the Quardo series.
Unfortunatly that is a bit out of my price range.
I would like to know, what would be a good alternative?
I’ve got about 1000 euro’s to spent?

My desktop PC has a AMD radeon card, and this isn’t supported for GPU render.
So I’de like to go for a Nvidia card.

Could anyone recommend a few suitable cards, or a Nvidia series that does support these options?
Is there anything else I should take in consideration, aspects that can be important for using blender on a laptop?

Would like to get some advice or experiences.

@noix, Hallo. For Animation a Desktop is far better. If you replace your graphics card on a Desktop a “ECS Nvidia GTX 580” can still rough it out on big scenes even though the card is almost 3 years old. The card has decent amount of Cuda cores and sizeable bandwidth transfer speed.

The Nvidia Geforce GTX series can handle your work very well.
Alternative card would be
ECS GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

At the moment Animation on a notebook graphic card with sizeable bandwidth similar to the specs above for a desktop is hard to find or very expensive.

Links : http://www.amazon.com/ECS-GeForce-Express-Graphics-PGTX680AX-2GR5-WF/dp/B009M3UMTK

Hope this helps.

@Amhuta, thnx for the info, I’ve still got some questions.

Would the GeForce GTX 760M be an oke choice?
the GeForce GTX 680 is hard to find.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-760m/specifications

Is the GTX more suiteble than the GT series?

Hope you can help

Like Amhatu said, if you want to be doing a lot of rendering, then replace the graphics card out of your desktop for an Nvidia card that you can afford. Nvidia’s GTX series are very well suited for Blender, there are a number of cards for different price ranges. The newer ones have more memory (because when GPU rendering, your scene needs to fit on the video card memory), so you’ll be able to render bigger scenes on them. I have a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti which may not be the best but it works fine for me.

I wanted to get a laptop for Blender a couple of years ago, and I was in a similar position to you in regards to having a desktop already. I bought a rather expensive laptop with an Nvidia card in it, which I soon regretted. The laptop graphics card just simply wasn’t anywhere near as powerful as what I wanted, and it didn’t have enough memory to handle some of my scenes. It overheated like heck, too. I sold it soon after.

If you are really wanting a laptop, then buy something simple with a small portion of your budget, then spend the rest on a Nvidia card for your desktop. (:

I recommend reading the Cycles GPUS FAQ: http://www.systemagnostic.com/faqs/

On the GeForce GTX 760M (NotebookCard) you will have to make a calculated decision if thats your choice. Keep in mind you need at least 16 gb of ram on your notebook for decent performance.

The Nvidia GTX Series (Desktop Cards) 580 & UP are more suitable however you can get by on a Nvidia GT 640 (manufactured by ECS Elite Group recomended ). GTX series have more bandwidth but if you use special builds of blender3d with OpenMP (Open Multi-Processing) & have a 64 bit Operating system you can enhance your performance with Nvidia GT 640. In the Near Future I would advise a modern Desktop PC.

Specs and Card Amazon.com :

ECS GeForce GT640

" ECS GeForce GT640 2048MB DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 DVI/Mini HDMI Black Series Graphics Card EGT640A-2GR3-YBF "

ECS GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0

Comparison Info for Desktop Graphic Cards :

http://www.hwcompare.com/12366/geforce-gtx-580-vs-geforce-gtx-680/

Hope this helps.

I ve looked around in some webshops and a laptop with this graphic cards is very hard to find.
I do see de GTX 760, GTX 770 much more often.
I also found the GT 750 with 4Gb graphic memory.
Would it be more effective to have a Geforce GT with 4 GB memory than a GTX with 2 Gb memory?

I’ve looked up some information on the folowing site:
http://www.systemagnostic.com/faqs/which-cuda-version-is-gpu/

And there’s no information if the GTX 760 is supported in blender?
I would like to know if a graphic card from the GTX 7xx series would be a good choice. (than there are a lot more options)

I’ve got one more question.
I’ve looked at some laptops and found that the On-board graphics adapter model is for instance a Intel HD Graphics 4600
Does the graphic processor have anything to do with the graphic card?
For as far as I understand is it essential that the graphic card is seperate from the motherboard.
I would like to know if the graphic processor has anything to do with the graphic card?

Thnx for the help so far

I ve looked around in some webshops and a laptop with this graphic cards is very hard to find.

I’ve looked up some information on the folowing site:
http://www.systemagnostic.com/faqs/which-cuda-version-is-gpu/

I would like to know if a graphic card from the GTX 7xx series would be a good choice. (than there are a lot more options)

I’ve looked at some laptops and found that the graphic processor (On-board graphics adapter model) is for instance a Intel HD Graphics 4600
For as far as I understand is it essential that the graphic card is seperate from the motherboard.
I would like to know if the graphic processor has anything to do with the graphic card?

I understand from Nvidia that a GTX card is better than a GT card for using blender.
What would be the best option:
a Geforce GTX 760 or 770 with 2 GB memory
Or a Geforce GT750M with 4 GB memory

Thnx for the help

I’ve looked at some laptops and found that the graphic processor (On-board graphics adapter model) is for instance a Intel HD Graphics 4600

I understand from Nvidia that a GTX card is better than a GT card for using blender.
What would be the best option:
a Geforce GTX 760 or 770 with 2 GB memory
Or a Geforce GT750M with 4 GB memory

Thnx for the help

There seems to be quite some misleading information in this thread.

GPUs with support for PCI Express 3.0 are compatible with motherboards that have PCIe 2.0. The loss in performance is not very large.

Well, this isn’t entirely true. The amount of ram will not directly influence render speed or viewport performance. Only when working with large scenes or simulations and your memory fills up entirely, the data will be swapped to your harddrive and this will slow things down considerably.

" ECS GeForce GT640 2048MB DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 DVI/Mini HDMI Black Series Graphics Card EGT640A-2GR3-YBF "
Do not get this card. It uses DDR3 memory, which is very slow in comparision to GDDR5 memory.

There are many threads on this forum about hardware. Take a look around.
Cheers.

Good combo for Custom Built Desktop System

Graphics Card :
Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Card GV-N770OC-4GD

Motherboard :
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX

Ram :
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Processor :
AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition

Power Supply :

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W 80 PLUS Gold Power Supply with Modular Cables

Computer Case :

CM Storm Scout 2 AdvancedMid Tower

Notes :

Helpfull Links & Podcast on Computer Hardware

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNov…bGrOYzg/videos

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCcD…NrsljJA/videos

many others…

Hope this helps.

I want to thank you all for the information you provided me with.
I’m almost ready to make a decision.

Thnx!!