Graphics card for Blending.

I’m narrowing down my choices on a graphics card for a new laptop. I’m pretty sure I will be going with an Intel i5 (430) processor with 4GB RAM. I’ve seen almost everywhere that integrated Intel HD Graphics aren’t too great, so I’ve continued searching for a better graphics card. It seems like my new choices are between:

1. 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]
    and

2. 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA]

I prefer to get nVidia but HP’s website doesn’t seem to have them as choices when customizing a laptop. If anyone has these cards, can you tell me of any problems you’ve experienced, how they perform, and your overall grade of the card. I plan to use Blender to create models and animation for use in 3D games. Also, for Blending, is it more important to have a powerful processor, or a nice graphics card? Which card should I go with, or should I just go with Intel HD Graphics? Also, i’m not limiting my choices to an HP computer - if anyone has any recommendations on a good laptop model/brand, please let me know. Also, any good websites for purchasing laptops would be good too.

All help/input is greatly appreciated.

The HD 5650 is a much better card than the HD 5470 even thought non of them are high-end cards. If the price difference is acceptable I’d go for the HD 5650.

Blender doesn’t take use of the GPU that much, so unless you’re planning to use external GPU accelerated based render engines, CPU power is more important… (however for 3d games GPU power is very important)

why get an HP? go here and get an Nvidia http://www.computerlx.com/

edit, my bad, you wanted a laptop, and I guess they don’t do that anymore :-/ Sorry!

Most of the “custom” laptops you get in the US are produced by Sager, other “custom laptop” companies order them from Sager and put their sticker on them. Read the fine print on the warranty, its often Sager that will service them. Check them out if you want something beyond the run of the mill. http://www.sagernotebook.com/