Graphics Questions for GameBlender

Ok, before i ask this really huge and possibly stupid question, i first need to ask: if an external application modifies a UV texture mapped onto an object while the game engine is running, and then that texture’s modification is saved over the original file, will that texture be changed in real time, or is this another factor of render-to-texture that is to be implemented with the Ogre plugin?

try?
I’ve no idea

How would an external program modify the UV data while blender is running? Via low-level hardware RAM access? Or write to the blender file on the disk? In the first case, it depend on where you modify, if you modify the tex-cord right before it is sent to the opengl rasterizer, of course you will see the effect in realtime.

But if you modify the UV data of the Blender file, i doubt it will be reflected in the runtime.

I saw a old old python script once that would do just that in Gimp, but it was as I remember very unstable.

I don’t think so, at least not until the texture needs to be loaded again.

ok, i thought as much. well, i once was playing around with a hair texture in gimp, and at the same time i was applying it in blender, and every time i messed with it in gimp, it would update in the uv editor after i saved the texture. the problem is, that was the uv editor, which is obviously not the game engine. i wanted to know if this was possible to do, because i had a little idea to create a beat detection texture. by modifying the core code of the WinAmp AVS system, i would be able to follow audio, but instead of printing to screen, it would save the pixel position data to an external jpg file. this file would have been made before hand, and textured onto an object in blender, and then with python calling the program, would be updated by the in-game music, sfx, or both. it sounded like a fun idea to me (giant visuals in an in-game bar, or a monster that changed colors according to the sounds of the level), but i guess it can’t be done. to bad…

If there’s some way of forcing a texture reload through Python, then it would probably work. That being said, texture loading takes up processing time.

you could modify the code to get the volume, beat, or what ever, and then you could have an ipo that changes the color of the object, and have an ipo actuator set to use a property. you would set the property to what ever the volume, beat or what ever, was equal to