Grass strands flat on surface

hello,
i tried to scatter some grasspatches on a plane with geometry nodes. But the strands are all flat on the surface. I applied all, scale, rotation. When i change in the Object Info-node from original to relative, the strands are correct, but transformed to the right.

Try rotating the instances with the rotation options of the instance on points node. :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried this also, but this give some strange results

What strange results?
You should be able to rotate the instances by 90º on either the x or y axis to fix it.

1 Like

align z direction of your grass to surface normals by align euler to vector

Ok, i tried this, but the same result. It rotate, but something make it flat

Edit:
Try changing the axis in the Align euler to vector node (from z to x or y)

Another way to do it would be to rotate your Grass_Basic (the one you are instancing) object in edit mode.

I tried this also, but it don`t work. This driving me nuts.

Save your file with the compress option (n panel of the save dialog) and post it here, there should be a simple solution.

Ok, here is the file. I have undo all the things i tried to the original version.
grass2.blend (990.0 KB)

Sorry for the time laps.
Easy fix:
You have to aplly the scale of your plane!
Your plane is scaled by 20 on the x and y axis, and by 1 on the z axis which is why the grass is stretched on the x and y axis.

Just select the plane and in in the objeject menu - apply- scale

Edit.
It is very important to apply object scale for many modifiers, not just Geometry nodes, especially when the scale is non uniform (differrent on different axis’s).

1 Like

oh man, such a simple mistake. Thank you very much