Graswald

(Kareem Ahmad) #241

The add-on is licensed as Royalty free.

(Renzatic) #242

Yeah, that’s kind of awesome. I won’t be getting it right this second, but it will end up on my short list of Blender plugins at some point.

(colkai) #243

Once I get the funds at the end of hte month, I’ll be buying this.

Awesome work. I tried several time to connect to Blendermarket but got Captchas without ends, the buy button did not do anything… Could you also make it available on Gumroad? As the fees their are also lower, it would allow more user with lower budget to have a chance to buy it while keeping the same income for you.
By the way, are the 69€ with early bird reduction?

(ChameleonScales) #245

@Yukon I forgot to ask before purchasing: will we have free updates ? I’m mostly thinking about when you’ll have to fix compatibility issues with Blender 2.8 because I actually don’t plan to use it before that, so I may want to ask for a refund and wait until the add-on is fully compatible before buying it again.

(burnin) #246

Do you have an image showing all included objects you could post (32 species)?

(jacobcullum) #247

This looks incredible; great work. I’m especially impressed with all the functionality and nuance you guys built into the addon controls. I’ll definitely be picking this up soon. I also am curious about what @ChameleonScales asked: will there be free updates for Blender 2.8 compatibility and such?

(Kareem Ahmad) #248

Once you buy it, you’re in: there will be free updates.
Regarding Blender 2.8, I’ll start porting Graswald when it hits around the beta stage.

(Kareem Ahmad) #249

You asked for a list of all the species, here they are. These are all the species and their corresponding variants sorted by package. Each variant consists of typically around 4-12 models for a grand total of 663 models.

TextList

Graswald RELEASE
(JoniMercado) #250

congrats for the great work guys!

(icyou520) #251

LOL I think its funny your very 1st thread introducing the idea, you said you created it because you couldn’t afford “Grass Essentials” but then you price yours about the same.

Great job though. I think I will purchase it after I get flip fluids.

(gopi.vfx) #252

Great Addon @Yukon. Can v import our models into the library and use with this addon?

(Julius Harling) #253

I got asked this question quite often in the last few days, so here are my thoughts on it. I want to stress, though, that I do not own the Grass Essentials, the information of this, therefore, is restricted to the test version that one can download for free, their very detailed product page on the blendermarket and what people told me.

Why Graswald is better than the Grass Essentials (at least in my humble opinion)

First of all, Graswald models are way more detailed and have a higher texture resolution, making them look more realistic. Not only that, but the models are also more accurate. Graswald assets have correct structural plant details and therefore can also be used for close-up situations. For example look at these two plants, left is grass essentials (from their product page) right is Graswald:

You can easily spot which grass looks better, the one on the right even has accurate knots and dead leaves.
Not only that, but the amount of models is much higher (Graswald has a total of 663 models, the Grass Essentials 471 (according to their product page). With Graswald, you won’t only get more different species, but also variations in that same species. You can, for example, either add Big, Small, Cut, Dry or Flower particle systems of the perennial ryegrass with up to 69 model variations per particle system. And also, Graswald doesn’t only consist of Grass and Weeds (and two different dead leaves particle systems), but it also features 4 different species of moss with a total of 9 different moss particle systems, as well as small sticks, wooden debris or needles and a large collection of dead leaves.
But the most important thing is the powerful add-on. Using the Grass Essentials, you have to manually append all the assets to your scene, they will block one layer of your blend file as well as memory, etc. With the Graswald add-on, you can easily add plants within literally 3 clicks. You can then further customize them.
Of course, the Grass Essentials also have some small customization possibilities. This is nothing though, compared to Graswald’s powerful customization possibilities.
I could list all of its features here, but for that, you better take a look at the product page: https://blendermarket.com/products/graswald
There are a few tools, that I should mention though:
-Graswald comes with integrated weight painting options for density and scale, even allowing to use existing vertex groups to create new ones.
-It features large optimization possibilities, for example switching between 3 different material qualities, lowering or adding more detail, as well as changing the draw type of the assets and much more.
-But especially the sophisticated material customizations allow a huge variety within the assets (e.g. Age, Dryness, Wetness, Hue/Saturation/Values, Color and Hue Randomization, etc.).
These are all things that the Grass Essentials lack (and I didn’t even list everything).

So in general, the quality of the assets is higher, the amount of assets, species and variation is higher, but Graswald especially wins because of its advanced customization options!

P.S. I know money is a key factor as well. Right now, Graswald is much cheaper than the Grass Essentials as well…

(AdamLevy) #254

I have same question as @gopi.vfx is there a way to add my own assets or modify existing?
I understand that to support all addon’s possibilities of customization it will require some complex steps to setup asset but I would really like ability to do so even without “user friendly” way.

(Kareem Ahmad) #255

Yes. I have implemented inside Graswald a package manager, so it is a bit more user friendly. These packages can even be shared and installed.

Setting up a package takes a moderate amount of work, but I intend to make a dedicated tutorial later today.

what about gumroad? I tried several times a day, always got this captcha page and not working buttons on blendermarket… It doesn’t look very professional, although I know it’s not your fault.

(Kareem Ahmad) #257

I believe the gumroad page will be up in a few days, there’s a couple things that need to be worked out.

(ChameleonScales) #258

@Yukon did anyone tell you your “G” logo rocks?
The slit in the grass strand makes it more recognizable and also puts it apart from the letter, keeping it readable.

(Julius Harling) #259

Haha, thank you :blush: I was not sure for a while, I have like 20 different logo versions on my computer lol! But I’m very happy with this version!

(-HENDRIX-) #260

Oh yeah, I remember that struggle! lol