Grease Pencil Armature Weights

Hello! I am very intrigued by the new grease pencil update, so I made my own little grease pencil sketch and was trying to add an armature to it. But it looks like the weight paint fall-off does not work at all.
Here is the weight paint:

And here is what it looks like when I rotate that bone:
Screenshot from 2020-03-24 17-15-07

It appears as if the grease pencil is entirely ignoring the fall-off. I’m new to grease pencil, new to the 2.8 version, and this is also the first time I have tried to weight paint something, so please let me know if I’m misunderstanding something. :slight_smile:

The points have to belong to more than one group in order for their relative weight to have any effect. If those weakly painted points where the neck is don’t also have strong weight painting for the lower bone, the weight will appear to be 100% for the whole thing.

1 Like

Phew! Ok. Thanks, I was just going about it the wrong way. I’ve had so many frustrations with grease pencil recently, so I didn’t know if I was just going crazy or if something was wrong. Clearly, I was just going crazy. :laughing:

You’re not going crazy, I started a GP project last year while 2.80 was still in beta and it had me almost in tears.

FYI, the one lesson I wish I had known is that rigged animation in grease pencil should be used sparingly. I believe grease pencil is intended to be used more like the traditional, frame-by-frame animation workflow. But your style may be different!

1 Like

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion. I think my next GP project will be more like that kind of style. Thanks for the advice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey

I made an armature for a Grease Pencil drawing, painted the weights myself and it works quite nice… from frame 16 to 30! Rest of the time my armature has no influence over the strokes, at all…

Does someone have an idea??

best
jb

Yeah, I’d have to look again, but I’m pretty sure you can animate the weight paint as well. Make sure there are no keyframes where you have weight painted the armature anywhere except on the first frame. I think I remember that happening to me as well because I accidentally painted on a frame that wasn’t the first frame and that accidental weight paint took control as soon as the animation got to that frame. Lemme know if that was the problem. :slight_smile:

Hey!

Thanks for the answer! :slight_smile:

The weight paint is indeed animated, I can see that when I scrub the animation!

But I am not finding any keyframes!

So right now I dont know how to just make my frame 16 a default value :frowning:

cheers
jb

From what I can tell, they are not distinct from the regular GP keyframes and so they are hidden in the dope sheet. This is what I found:

WeightPaintGif

If the gif is too small, I’m in weight paint mode looking at the dope sheet with GP editing context displaying. As soon as I add something to my weight paint, it adds a keyframe. Find that incorrect keyframe and delete it and it should default to the frame you want to have the weight paint on. It is really confusing and inefficient, but maybe they’ll fix that later. :laughing:

Hey!

It was very well hidden indeed! but I now have my weights working the whole animatio thru :slight_smile:

Thanks bro!

Cheers
jb

PS: you can really animate ANYTHING :rofl:

No problem, bro! :smiley: