Grease Pencil Layer visibility?

Hi All.

I’m trying to use G.P. for the first time (adding annotations to a 3d -View - working on a geometry problem).

But I’m getting seriously confused about the rules for whether a ‘layer’ is visible.

I’ve worked out that layers seem to be attached to objects. I can select an object and see its active layer
(at least I ‘think’ that’s what is happening)

But when I deliberately deselect all objects what becomes visible? As far as I can tell, a more or less
randomly selected layer (or possibly multiple layers - but definitely not ‘all layers’)?

How can I make sure all of the GP layers remain visible?
Or is there some way to copy a GP layer to another object so that I can select that and get all layers?

(I guess that last would require a layer ‘merge’ - makes sense to me - 2D app’ layers can usually be merged).

Thanks for any help.

Ross.

GP layers are independent of 3d view layers as you see with turning off object layers. You should see one tab in the N panel that allows you to set visibility of the Grease Pencil layers, and on tab in the Tool panel that allows you to turn off and on what kind of session you are working.

Thanks Craig.

I’d sort of got that much worked out. My problem is ‘moving’ GP data from one
object (where I’d added it before I realised GP layers were attached to objects)
to another (where I need it if I want to have it visible - i.e. the selected object).

I have realised one more thing since I posted. What I assumed was a ‘layers’
dropdown in the 'N’umbers UI isn’t any such thing. It’s a datablock selector.

But you can’t add a GP datablock then select a layer from another object. So
I don’t see why you’d want a ‘new datablock’ ?

Ho hum. I’m starting to think GP is really targeted at a function other then
annotating the 3D view. Maybe Ill just set up some textures and use
texture paint. That at least, I know how to do.

R.

I do not understand - you don’t add GP layers per object, but you can set your GP to ‘surface’ and have your strokes lie on the surface of your object, and rotating view you should see them rotate as well. Add another layer, and change color of you Gp and add more markings…if you go to onion skin mode, you can advance through the timeline and 'trace the previous GP to change it and animate it…

You can 'transfer the GP datablock to another object by selecting that object and then in the dropdown selecting the name of the GP datablock you want to connect to that object and then hit the F to unlink it from the other object. Or you could delete it from the other object and the ‘2’ should go away denoting that only one object is now using the datablock. BUT if you are looking to MOVE the grease pencil marks to the new object you are pretty much out of luck.

If you draw your GP strokes in object mode with all objects selected or no objects selected the GP strokes are not associated with any single object and will only show in that mode (all or none selected.)

Thanks folks.

I think it was that last …

"If you draw your GP strokes in object mode with all objects selected or no objects selected the GP strokes are not associated with any single object and will only show in that mode (all or none selected.) "

that had me most confused. The object association behavior doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere, and as I was drawing on
the surface of planes, I assumed I had to select the plane first in order to do that - which led to the mess I got into.

In the end I ‘cheated’, setting up semi transparent textures on the planes, and used ‘texture paint’ mode to annotate.
With texture shading mode enabled, that works as long as I don’t assign any materials to the planes.

I still haven’t solved my problem, but at least I’ve got it visualized.

Thanks again.

Ross.