Grease Pencil Merge in Blender 2.8

news

(gritche) #269
  1. put a little bit of surface offset in Object Data tab… Viewport Display… Surface Offset before drawing

(Oscalon) #270

I’m trying to get control of my stroke thickness, but I’m noticing several problems:

There does not seem to be a way to smooth thickness the way you can with curves?

Using the sculpt thickness brush ignores the current selection, so you can’t limit it. And there’s no way to reset the thickness if you change it?

I’m trying to clean up the tapering off strokes, but just can’t get good results beyond just turning the strength of the Thickness Sculpt brush very low and going very slowly. Am I missing something?

(xrg) #271

I go into Edit mode, select points, and use Alt+S. It’s pretty tedious with a lot of points, though.

(gritche) #272

enable “affect thickness” in the brush options

(gritche) #273

to limit to selection
Screenshot_8

(Oscalon) #274

Great! Thanks.

More questions as I keep experimenting:

Can I make the Smooth brush effect only the view plane? When i have surface strokes and smooth them, i start to get clipping.

Speaking of surface strokes, i notice that when drawing over the editor window background, I can see my stroke. But when drawing on surface, I cannot see it until I finish it and release the cursor. Then it appears. But this means I cannot see where I’ve already drawn if I’m over an object.

And how do I control the amount of points? I notice that if I have a complex surface, the stroke doesn’t always have enough points to catch all the ridges and stuff. Especially if I move the cursor quickly, as it seems that it bases the points on speed, not distance. Can I turn it up?

I see that I can control the cursor depth with surface, 3D cursor, and object origin. If I start drawing on a surface and draw off over the background, the depth on the background will remain the same as the last surface point’s depth. Is it possible to have a stroke that starts on a surface keep the same depth as the first point it touches on the surface?

EDIT:

Another thing I’d love to be able to do is superimpose my render over my viewport, lined up with my model. I want to see the render as I’m drawing, but have GP still draw onto the surface of the actual model (so needs to be more than just bringing my rendered image back in as an image on a plane. Unless I can have GP ignore that plane?)

(zeauro) #275

You can select strokes or parts of strokes that are not on surface and use limit to selection button shown on gritche’s previous post to limit effect of brush to this selection.
You can draw surface strokes on another layer and limit the use of a smooth modifier layer where strokes are not on surface.

I don’t have this problem with recent builds on linux.
Maybe you made a bad use of fading overlays or you don’t have a good Surface offset and Thickness settings combination.
Or maybe it is a bug relative to your scene or your platform.
When I draw on default cube, stroke is visible while drawing and after.

In 2.79, there is an only endpoints option.
I don’t know at what moment, it disappeared in 2.8.
But there is still an Only first option for Curves drawing.
Main goal was to draw things like hair locks, with a starting point on surface and the rest of drawing with a free move in space.
It would not be problematic if we could snap strokes in edit mode. But it looks like snapping for GPstrokes is currently broken.

In theory, Viewport is WYSIWYG.
Currently, Opacity of strokes is a bit stronger in viewport.
But rendered display mode should be very closed to an F12 render.

(Oscalon) #276

Is there any way to convert a stroke’s area to fill? Say I have a very fat stroke that covers a lot of area. I want to convert it to be a closed and filled area, and then be able to control the thickness of the stroke around it.

(darthfurby) #277

Your stroke already has a fill but it’s invisible. In Grease Pencil every stroke has a fill and every fill has a stroke.

To reveal the fill and change stroke thickness see “How to Change Color in Grease Pencil”:

(0o00o0oo) #279

Does anybody know if there are plans to add hardness control to brushes to Grease Pencil (to create soft brushes)?

At its current state, it seems great for cel shaded and sketchy looking drawings, but it can’t do soft, airbrush strokes. Being able to control hardness of a brush is second nature for me, so I find myself feeling handicapped when drawing with Grease Pencil.

(Blender Ninja) #280

Hi there, grease pencil is a vector styled tool similar to that of adobe illustrator (however better) So creating airbrush type effects is a non starter, that said don’t give up on it… the development team are doing a fantastic job and hopefully they will make the tool even better

https://vector-conversions.com/vectorizing/raster_vs_vector.html

(Blender Foundation CERTIFIED TRAINER) #281

With LEFT click select, what’s the button to use when you want to change to SCULPT mode and SCULPT? right or left? or middle?

(0o00o0oo) #282

Right, hopefully they can/will do it. Illustrator can have soft and even textured brushes, which looks to be the direction Grease Pencil will go. I came across the Developer post again and was reminded of the development:

(Source page)

The second one down even looks like a soft brush, so hopefully there will be something there. It’d be ideal to have some sort of a customizable brush engine.

(Blender Ninja) #283

Hi bud you might be onto something…in fact, and if my memory serves me correctly I loaded a texture and used it as a grease pencil brush, can’t remember how I did it though :slight_smile:

(burnin) #284
Sorry to disturb you Regnas (wrong Reply button pressed :roll_eyes:)

FX, modifiers & a texture
GP_FX%26Mods%26Tex

Valuable threads

(zeauro) #285

Ctrl Tab to change mode. And then, left click to use a sculpt brush.

(zeauro) #286

That is what you have currently.
2.8 have same brush settings and curves as in 2.79 + the ability to assign a specific material with textures to a specific brush.
You have to use pin button in Topbar. I don’t know why but this button is missing in Tool Properties tab.

(0o00o0oo) #287

Right, true. I meant something more robust that also includes natively being able to change the softness/hardness of the brush.

(ouraf) #288

That would mean using a vector line GP creates as a guide for a masked trace… right?

(0o00o0oo) #289

Sure…? Merely an artist here, don’t know technical specifics, haha.