Grease Pencil Merge in Blender 2.8

Thank you - I just assumed it was to behave like the mesh mirror modifier :smiley:

I did a couple of animation tests. There are still issues here and there, but I find it pretty comfortable to animate with. Reminds me of my old Flash days. :+1:

Blend files:
ball_anim.blend
fire_anim.blend

ball_anim

fire_anim

21 Likes

@xrg thatā€™s some cool stuff ! What are the little isuues you saw?

For those who wants help drawing proportion and anatomy, Iā€™ve put some Grease Pencil Character Rigs that includes construction lines on Gumroad :

4 Likes

Please excuse me for sounding dense, butā€¦I thought armatures were not usable with Grease Pencil Objects. May I please have some clarification?

Edit, seconds later: Wait, this is just for drawing on poses, not rigging anything. Never mind!!!

Armatures are not usable as deformers of GP lines.
But you can make a GP layer child of a bone of an armature like in 2.79.

Can anyone point to some frame by frame animation tutorials using Grease pencil?

But you can do it with a bunch of hook modifiers, and attach the hooks to a rig, it is bit fastidious, but it is possible :slight_smile:

Is there any plan to implement armature modifier for the new Grease Pencil?

It just sounds the logical next step to do.

1 Like

Any chance we can bake grease pencil drawn on a 3d model to texture?

3 Likes

To be able to rig Grease Pencil would be really great. Next Code Quest canā€™t come soon enough.

So, use the hooks as a replacement for the armatures, but with armatures acting in place? Alright. Just 1 thing:

May I ask how Hook Modifiers work in this fashion?

ā€¦Look, in all of my time spent with Blender, I have never touched the Hook Modifier.

Here is a little animation I did using The Blender 2.8 branch of Grease Pencil, not the New version of blender (Blender 2.8 Alpha)

The background and lights where done in Blender 2.79b

Music: Dantiez Saunderson
Dantiez Saunderson - Feeling_of_the_groove_extended_mix

3 Likes

Is it wrong that I have so many questions about this?

Is there any way to fill closed objects? The Fill tool seems to only line strokes on the inside.

Edit, 23 minutes later: NEVER MIND, I FOUND THE PROBLEM!

When you check the Fill section, just under the Stroke section, and you are deciding what the color will be, make sure the ā€œAlphaā€, or ā€œAā€, is set to a value greater than 0.000, or the ā€œFillā€ function of the Fill tool will not fill anything. I needed, I kid you not, hours upon hours to figure out that the transparent half next to the color meant that nothing would be visible as the Alpha was set to 0. I hope this helps anyone else and everyone else who ever experiences this problem.

1 Like

Nice i guessā€¦ hopefully it going to be more useful/competitive than game engine that we once had.

Hey guys, the Grease Pencil is merged into Blender 2.8. Here is a video that shows some of the new features.

https://youtu.be/xugJYr9MnWk

(reposted here after I eventually realized that Iā€™ve previously written this comment in a wrong thread)

With some usage (sketching as if I was using a standard raster painting program) I found that after many strokes, Grease Pencil starts becoming slow and unresponsive especially at the beginning of new strokes. You can guess in the example below what is the starting point of each curve.

If I create a new layer and hide the old one, performance returns back to near optimal, but this condition isnā€™t ideal. I wonder if itā€™s also partially related to the general undersampled appearance of the lines (which is particularly noticeable during fast strokes). Perhaps with a faster CPU I would have smoother lines?

Surely some stupid questions here, as you know I am just hobbyist and not pro at all.
Iā€™m missing simple ways to achieve repetitive/cycle things, like with modifiers in f-curves. Iā€™m also not sure if itā€™s possible to use GP as Action/Track in the NLA editor. So, what is the way to work with GP when you want to easily get repetitive/cyclical animations?

good question! i also would like to know thisā€¦ or if anything is planned in this regardā€¦

i did 2d-animations with flash (over 15 years ago :)) and it was quite cool how you could use multiple timelines and easily reuse stuff at different positions in the timeline.

another thingā€¦ it would be nice if there was a very quick way of setting up armatures for grease pencil objects. not for fully rigged characters but only for stuff like arms/legs and with a very quick way of setting it up (with envelopes or something for skinning) so that it is worth using it for just a few framesā€¦ just dreamingā€¦ :slight_smile:

This new feature is so awesome. Iā€™m already using it for a production project, i know thatā€™s not safe, but even thought itā€™s just an alpha version, itā€™s already saving me a lot of time of work. Iā€™m working on a very complex animation of 30 seconds long. So first of all, a big thanks to the developers and artists for this awesome work !!! iā€™m subscribing now to the blender cloud to help contribute in the further development of this.
I only have one remark and big request for now.
The big thing thatā€™s missing in my opinion in GP is a more handy management of frames. You see, in a very long animation, sometimes you want to loop an animation, or just a part of one character. For now, to do this in GP, i have to click one by one with Shift + right click on the frames that i want to loop, and i have to copy them X times to fill the whole animation. And if unfortunately i want to adjust the drawing in on frame, i have to recopy everything againā€¦ First thing would be to allow users to shift + select the keyframes with clicking just the first and the last one (and bonus feature would be to allow shift copy between multiple layers).
And to go further more, why not make instaces of frames (like in Clip Studio Paint Ex). I know GP has an instance modifier, but the current instances donā€™t have a time delay option. Itā€™s really a copy of content and frames synchronisation, so you canā€™t try to use it to fake a loopā€¦ Maybe just a time effector in the instances would make the job for now.
That feature would be sooooo useful also for lipsync and other complex thing in short animation films. imagine you have to animate lips and complex face expressions for a dialog. With frame instances, you would just need to draw a library at the beginning of your scene, and then place the instances where they are needed :slight_smile:
Thanks for reading, and good luck for the beta launch !!
Iā€™m attaching a preview of my current work with GP. Work in progress. Itā€™s a 30seconds complex animation, with a dude riding a bike. You can imagine how many times i had to duplicate the animation cycle of his legs ! ahah!
blenderGP0|690x409 .
blenderGP1|690x388

1 Like

Iā€™m glad this is in, but even moreso that the devs brought up the following to current

FFMPEG 4.0.2
OPENJPEG 2.3
LIBPNG 1.6.34
WebP 1.x

The amount of bugs because of the mish-mash of not current issues within these major underpinnings will not be missed.

Both Master and Blender 2.8 have them updated, across all platforms. They arenā€™t backporting to 2.79a, but by omission I assume they will with 2.79b or just 2.79c when it is released.