GREDOR - Open World RPG - working Inventory and more

Soo guys, I’m back!

I finished on the blacksmithing system, fixed bugs, made new items and improved fighting (a bit).

I’m now working on the skill system.
Nines already asked what kind of leveling/skilling system it will be. I plann on something like skyrim, but still with active abilities like diablo 3 or (bad example) League of Legends. I’m not sure if I should make skill trees look like the ones from skyrim or more like something from far cry or Dying Light, so more of a “maze” structure. I wold love to hear some advice about that and how many active abilies there should be from you guys.

For definition: An active abiliy is not a passive bonus but an abilty that is activated by the player.

How ever, here are the screenshots from the blacksmithing:

You slect you witshed blacksmithing style on the left (styles like elvish are coming soon), then your wished type of weapon on the right. Not all types can be produced in all styles, for example there are no dwarfish throwing knifes.
The material, so the top item place on the crafting menu can be choosen freely, but there are some classes that can only be craftet with certain materials. The other Items you need are automaticly substractet from your inventory or chest. To craft the Item you just draw it from the right icon (so the dagger or War hammer in the pictures) and put it in your inventory.

This is it for today,
Cheers Guys!

PS: I really need advice for the skill system

Looking good. Skill system…here’s my thoughts on the matter if you are interested. I think the first thing you need to do is to learn about each skill - blacksmithing, woodworking in other games, weapons proficiency etc. Next, start figuring out where they should be on the tree, less advanced skills to more advanced skills. Figure out where your choices should be, and what skills are at the same level (parallel). You need to put some thought into this, and research. I don’t recommend just making up skills. I like really immersive games with huge skill trees which take a long time to achieve. I like to be able to create a very unique character. You’ll also need to consider what skills compliment each other - my character in Skyrim is an assassin archer cat - archery and sneak skills go well together. I don’t think it matters so much about the actual design of the tree - so long as it is clear. I don’t care what the Skyrim tree looks like - it’s just cool looking eye candy. The function of it is what really matters. Get that nailed down first, in my opinion. Well, just some rambling thoughts. I’ve never made a skill tree, but I do have an intersting idea for a building game loaded with skills. I’ll never make this game, so it is sort pointless to get into it, but I like to think about it sometimes.

Well, I’ll just tell you if you are interested. Feel free to use it. I had the idea of creating books of skills - your character sorta tracks where he is, presumably, and you see the skill tree through his or her eyes as he takes his notes. As he learns, he creates new designs for armour, buildings, weapons etc, and draws the plans in one of his design notebooks. In my game idea, you’d go to the study / library, and pull skill / design books from the shelves, or access them on podiums. When you want to make an axe, for example, you open up the plan, which also indicates what materials you’ll need. You’d then go to the materials storage room, get the materials, and then head to the appropriate shop to make your axe.

So -skill reqd + design skill to create the plan + sufficient materials + correct tools in your shop, which you’d need to make or purchase. So, your first weapon would be fire hardened spear. Materials - long pole - tool, knife then fire.

Pretty immersive, but my game idea is a castle sim, so the whole idea would be to wander around, getting immersed in castle life.

Anywho, I hope I was some help.

Edit: You’ve spelled “spear” incorrectly. You’ve got it as “speer”. I’d also say “Dwarven Oil” as opposed to “Dwarfish”. It’s just a fantasy convention, and it stands out a bit. For example, Tolkien describes “Toys of Dwarven make…”.

whoops. That “speer” is kinda embarrassing, but thanks for that.

Well, I’ll just tell you if you are interested. Feel free to use it. I had the idea of creating books of skills - your character sorta tracks where he is, presumably, and you see the skill tree through his or her eyes as he takes his notes. As he learns, he creates new designs for armour, buildings, weapons etc, and draws the plans in one of his design notebooks. In my game idea, you’d go to the study / library, and pull skill / design books from the shelves, or access them on podiums. When you want to make an axe, for example, you open up the plan, which also indicates what materials you’ll need. You’d then go to the materials storage room, get the materials, and then head to the appropriate shop to make your axe.

Thank you for sharing this great idea. I really love it and will probably intergrate some parts of it, but I’m not 100% sure if this first person view on the book fits my game. I will maybe make it like skyrim: The book comes in front of everything else, but the background is still visible. What do you think?

The book concept as I described it is pretty specific to a first person, immersive game. A variation may work on a top down dungeon crawler. Book overlay - yes, that’s what I’ve always done in concepts. A cut out png image in an overlay scene, but I’m sure you know that. I think Skyrim uses the same book texture, then adds a second overlay for the text? Not sure…you’d need to be careful not to have a hundred textures. I’ll be interested to see if and how you implement this.

I just love books and immersive environments, and I spend a good bit of my time in games just wandering around, feeling like I’m in the world. Funny thing is, I never read the Skyrim books. I think it is because the writing is very bad. They just are not interesting to me.

I came up with the idea following the same trail of thought you are - how do I manage skills, weapons etc. It occurred to me to just make rooms for each thing, where stuff would be stored. Sorta like a 3d visual organization. You could even do chart on a wall instead of a book, where your character charts his progress. Maybe some little back story there. I don’t like the idea of being able to carry 1000lbs of gear in Skyrim - I try not to think about it. In my game concept, you’d be able to carry a few things, but as you’d be mostly in your castle, building it, defending it, fixing it, adding to it etc…you could just go to the rooms. And of course you could carry a few books around with you. Just my rambling thoughts. Not all will apply to your game of course.

WOW
It is pretty interesting, really looks great I hope to see how it evolves :3
Keep it up!

So, i’ve been working on the skilling system and created a mashup of rift, diablo3 and skyrim.

It works like this:

• there are 6 skill trees (mabye there will be more, not sure yet): Assassin, Tank, Holier(healer), Arkanist(mage), Demon conjurer and furor (maximum “battle” damage)

So, i’ve been working on the skilling system and created a mashup of rift, diablo3 and skyrim. There will be a little video later.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]383896[/ATTACH]

It works like this:

• there are 6 skill trees (mabye there will be more, not sure yet): Assassin, Tank, Holier(healer), Arkanist(mage), Demon conjurer and furor (maximum “battle” damage)
  • you can choose 3 of them and pick one as your primary tree
  • your primary tree determines the type of resource you use, e.g. mana, fury,etc.
  • there are multiple rows per tree. to unlock a row you have to invest 40% of the maximum points in the row under the one you want to level
  • completly white abilities are leveled, a bit darker means you havent leveled this and the darkest grey means that you haven’t unlocked this row yet.

Please note: not all skills have textures yet, the white ones are just placeholders

Looks like it is coming along! How’s that new character going?

sadly, my artist “coworker” has got stuff to do for school, but there holidays in a few weeks so we can work on him then!
I’ve got one question for you guys:
Would you like an lowpoly art style/hand drawn or an realistic style?

For what? The game? I think that’s up to you as game designer. And you’ve already go assets created for the game, right? Top down dungeon crawler…my opinion, go realistic. There are 1 billion cartoon top down dungeon crawlers. Fewer realistic. You might want to look at:

http://www.grimrock.net/

Dungeon crawler, but first person. Realistic, but grid based, like an old paper rpg.