Green Tiles Bump Mapping Troubles

Hello Everyone.

I posted a while ago where I had a bathroom scene which I had created a mesh for a tile, and then duplicated it across the length of a plane to form a wall. Needless to say, this was a tedious process and rendered extremely slowly. I was advised to use a bump map instead, which I have proceeded to do now with a new image that I am creating. An initial render can be seen in the first attached image.

I wanted all of the walls to have the same tile-like effect, including the floor and ceiling. As can be seen from the image, the floor’s tiling effect isn’t really working out as well as the walls. I would like to correct this. I am not sure what I am doing wrong - I have used UV mapping to layout the tile image, and the material settings I am using can be seen in the second and third images.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice so that I can make the floor look similar in effect to the walls. Thanks a lot!

~Scott

Attachments

I think from a few versions ago bumpmapping depends on the angle of the lights you light it with, try using a light that shines on it in a direction.

if it’s detail you want, it would be better to use the displace modifier to force the mesh to have the tile shape. You’ll have to subsurf the heck out of your planes, but that’s the price to pay for having accurate detail.

-niko

Subsurf the floor, 5 subdivisions or 6, and use displacement effect (button Disp).

The normal effect slider (Nor) and the displacement effect slider (Disp again) will both affect this effect.

Alternatively theres the displacement modefier but i need to learn that for myself.

Ok, I subsurfed the floor (after separating it to a new object), but I don’t quite understand the displace modified (or, really, for that matter, the displace texture option, either). Is there a good website that I could take a look at that would fill in some of how to use this functionality? Or could someone give me a quick run through? Every time I try to use it, it causes my surface to become incredibly distorted.

Thanks!

~j