Grid Fill not working (Blender 2.82.7)

Hi all,

I’m trying to use Grid Fill to fill a planar piece of my model, but it says I need to select 2 Edge Loops. I thought I did have 2 of those selected, but apparently not. Here’s what it looks like:

The manual says it works best if both loops have an equal amount of vertices, so I tried changing my loops to accommodate for this, but the problem persists. Here’s my blend file:
tiles-013.blend (632.6 KB)

What can I do to fix this?
TIA!

You have one “loose” vertics, use split to get an extra vertices and move it along the edge.

1 Like

Well it turns out I had quite a few loose/double vertices. That wasn’t why the Grid Fill wasn’t working, though. Turns out that when you use 2 edge loops as input to this operation, they need to both have the exact same number of vertices/edges. Or rather, in my case of 1 having 20 verts and the other having 21, it threw an error.

The manual states: “The best predictable result can be achieved if you select two opposite edge loops with an equal number of vertices.” This is kinda misleading, IMHO. Also, the error message was “Select two edge loops”, which could also be a bit more clear.

Anyway, thanks for your help, I’m glad we figured this out!