Grid Floor Orientation

Hi!

I’ve just started experimenting modeling with Blender for a simple flat shaded untextured game I’ve got in mind (think Virtua Racer look wise).

I wrote a quick n’ dirty exported based on what I could find in the various exported included.

So far it’s working alright but I could use some help for improving it.

First of all, the grid floor is oriented so that the Z axis points up/down where as in code I’m using the scheme where the Y axis points up/down. This causes the object’s vertices to have to be rotated 90 degrees around the X axis before exporting. So is there either a way to rotate the grid floor so it lays on the X/Z plane? Or alternatively, is there a way to rotate the vertices in the script before saving them?

Oh, and one more thing. It would be really nice if there was a script command for converting all faces to triangle instead of also having to do this by hand in blender.

Thanks.

Just rotate objects so up is the Y axis and Ctrl-A before exporting.
Ctrl-T with all verts selected in Edit mode converts to tri’s.

%<

This is what I’m doing currently. Problem is that it’s getting quite tedious to do these steps manually. Another problem is that objects when used in-game sometimes get “screwed up” (extremely long on one axis or rotated out of proportion). Maybe this has to do with me first rotating/scaling objects in object mode instead of edit mode. As I later learnt that you have to rotate the vertices and not just object for it affect exported data.

Now I realised that maybe this isn’t an interface problem as such, but more a a question for the “Phyton & Plugins” section? It’s just that I started writing my post with the grid floor in mind and kinda went off a tangent from there.