Grid squares not further dividing on zoom in

Hey, I’m pretty new to blender and am having an annoying problem (even moreso that it’s probably an obvious fix). When I zoom in closer, the grid usually splits up into more smaller grids, recursively. I must’ve hit something by accident as it no longer does that on one of my projects, must be a setting saved in the .blend file too as a restart doesn’t fix it.
Anyone know the way to fix this?
Help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

(also on a side note, is there any way to delete unnecessary edges splitting up object faces? I have a lot of triangles that could be made into 4-pointed shapes - I know it doesn’t make much difference but it niggles at me… Whenever I try to delete them it deletes a range of things I don’t want it to.)

Assuming you are using 2.49…

Perhaps you have enabled Perspective view? Numpad 5 to toggle between Perspective and Orthographic.

ALT+J to convert triangles to quads.

…and welcome to blenderartists… :slight_smile:

Yup, 2.49b.
Changing the view didn’t make any difference sadly, still just zooms into blank grey, but ALT+J is exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :smiley:

(I had been fiddling with the View & Controls so I’m guessing it’s something on there, but can’t find it myself)

You can only zoom in so far if your objects are small. It doesn’t go on indefinitely. Increase the size of your objects or go to View / View Properties. A panel will appear. You can set grid divisions in these settings. Increasing the grid divisions will give you finer grid squares.

Tried that with no avail, then discovered, to my horror and embarrassment, that the viewpoint was slightly off, the simple solution just hitting NUM 7 3 or 1… :no:
Thanks for your help anyway guys, tis much appreciated :slight_smile:

Found this on Google when looking for the solution to same problem (thread title) so I thought I’d give an answer to exactly that despite this thread’s age.

The default grid stops dividing at 0.01 units between lines. A reason for this is that the precision after the decimal point is technically limited. (The invested blenderer can learn more by googling “IEEE 754”) However, for small objects not larger than 2 units in any direction one can safely rely on precision up to about five digits after the decimal place. One should avoid very short edges anywhere in the mesh though because this can mess up the calculation of vertex normals (beware subdivision surface modifier further brings you closer to this limitation as well).

To allow for a finer grid, view the properties panel in the 3d view by pressing N and under “Display” divide the “Scale” value by the “Subdivisions” value one or two times. For the default subdivisions value of 10 this makes 0.1 or 0.01. If you used e.g. 8 subdivisions, you would have to use 0.125 or 1/16, else the lines won’t match up with how they were. This really is a hack, but it will work fine as long as you don’t overdo it. If all else fails, you’ll just have to model your scene in 10 times larger.