Grouping similar objects together

Maybe “grouping” is the wrong word, but I’m not really sure what to call it, therefore, I can’t seem to find it with a search either…

I’m looking to change the material of a dozen or so objects at the same time, possibly multiple times. The items may or may not be touching one another, so joining isn’t an option. The objects in question are hard to select easily because they are up against many other objects. I can select them one by one each time and then make the changes, but is there a way to link them together in some fashion so that if I select any one item from the group, all of them are selected so I can make the changes all at once?

Thanks
Jason

Grouping, select the objects and ctrl+G. Select after by selecting one object, shift+G -> group, or switch outliner view to show groups.

Hierarchy comes from parent-child relationship. select objects, parent as active selection and ctrl+P. Select after by ctrl+clicking on the parent icon in the outliner. Alternatively, select parent object and shift+G -> children, could also enable extend option on the operator panel to get the parent selected.

Once you have them selected, materials can be linked from the active object to selected. Ctrl+L -> materials. Could also select objects based on linked data, shift+L.

Grouping the elements you want to select is a good idea.
In the Outliner, switch to Groups in the display field. Then click on the group you want to select. Now all the objects are selected.
Select the object with the right material again (Shift RMB click on it) which makes it the active element.
Assign its material to the others by pressing CTRL L --> selecting Material

Instead of grouping, you can parent all the objects to an empty. Select one object of the hierarchy, then in the Outliner right click on the empty icon and choose ‘Select Hierarchy’.

Thanks guys, that was exactly what I was looking for! I kept trying to group them, but didn’t realize there was the nuance of hitting shift G to select them later. They are now grouped and I’m looking to try the CTRL L trick too. Thanks very much for the help!

Jason

Works nicely! Now that they are linked, things will be much easier. It’s a little more confusing that it maybe should be, but I get it now. Back in the Bryce days, if you’re familiar with that program, if you grouped something and then selected any single object from the grouping, you got them all. I guess I was stuck on thinking it would work similarly. Oh well, change is good.