Grow,my minions!

Is is just me, or is there an ever-growing amount of BGE posts that are orange? It’s either that the community is getting more attention(more joiners), or the community is getting lazy…:confused:

What do you mean with “orange”? Do you mean the threads marked as new?

Threads marked as new are dependent on how often you visit, not on how many other people have seen/responded to them.

I visit everyday, at roughly the same time.
As you might know, like the new tags, I’m also new to the Blender Community srry

This is no problem. We just wondered.

It would be interesting to see statistics on the BA forums. Then we could see if the BGE section has been growing, among other things.

Believe me, the BGE discussion is very active.

Every day you get lets say 1/2-1 page of new and updated threads.

It is growing, but only in some ways.

1. There are more posts per day
    But:
  2. There are more new users
    There are not many:
  3. More long-term users. I can number the people who’ve stuck around and actively helped on the forum on my hands.

I suspect that if detailed statistics were available for this forum, we’d find an average active membership of about two months. People come in during a holiday, ask a question or two, and then vanish without a trace on to the rest of their lives. Which is fair enough.

I’ve no idea how we can make long-term users, and thus how to actually expand the community.
But it’s nice that there is lots of interest in BGE.

I don’t know what even makes users leave. since I’ve registered, I couldn’t stop myself from checking the forum whenever I’m not busy, even when I’m not at home.
The new users that come and ask others to do stuff for them are mostly kids who are working on “projects” (99.9% are fps) that are going to “flip the earth” and make them look “cool”.

I’ve no idea how we can make long-term users, and thus how to actually expand the community.

I’ve been watching the game dev scene on some other forums for around 10 years now and I can tell this phenomenon is not limited to BGE.

I believe you can’t really make people something they are not. Game development is not everyone and it’s not even for everyone that frequents the forums. Video games are just very “media sexy” topic right now and it attracts all kinds of people. The current generation of youth also has no patience, they run around seeking magical insta-awesome solutions for a need they haven’t even clearly outlined yet. Things are harder than they have anticipated, they give up with the occasional ragequit. But some stick and find the time to improve and in the end make something meaningful. The total amount of people that stay and finish things has not changed during all the years in my perspective. The field just gets more of the occasional people that haven’t prepared for what game development really takes.

But it’s nice that there is lots of interest in BGE.

I’ve been frequenting these forums for couple of years but only registered now so I can actually reply to posts because I see I am well above the average in skill and can actually help others.

I think I’m seeing a definite increase on attention towards BGE. I believe it’s because of how Blender has improved and gained other popularity even among some professionals in the field. Also things like BGMC which links to social media can attract people and I think are very important in the future.

What can everyone do to help people keep and develop their interest in BGE?

• make your own BGE games, make them good quality and popular. I think many are hiding their projects because they’re not sure if they finish and if the really can be that flagship game for BGE they want to be.
  • make tutorials/documentation for Blender that cover asset creation that handle everything in game dev point of view
  • make tutorials/documentation for BGE on how to build big projects with content streaming, save/load system, asset file management, graphics style choices, and how to implement some of the most popular features
  • help individuals on these forums

I have been learning and teaching, by solving my problems, and others problems.

Each time it gets faster.

I do have a couple unsolved, but that is due to their complex nature.

A pie chart that told average game development percentages would be nice.
Like.planning 33% animating 16.5% coding 33% and everything else should be defined to be “filled in” after this.

Also a fully dissectable game that was well documented would not hurt.
We are trying to do this with project wrectified by commenting our code and labeling our logic, color coding logic bricks would be nice…

1. More long-term users. I can number the people who’ve stuck around and actively helped on the forum on my hands.

Count me in, been here sorta silent devving in BGE for 8 months. (focusing on this one game for BGE!) it has really come along.

BGE rocks, I think a lot stuff people want to do is possible, just not completely apparent or logic-brick-able.

I think I’m seeing a definite increase on attention towards BGE. I believe it’s because of how Blender has improved and gained other popularity even among some professionals in the field. Also things like BGMC which links to social media can attract people and I think are very important in the future.

The new UI sets a standard, I think a lot of people just associate blender with the older clunky-er interface. Once they try it out they are like, “holy crap, that is awesome”.