'growing' meshes

hi there.

i have a short question.
it is possible to animate meshes. but, is it possible to animate the ‘creation’ of new vertices?
maybe, i want to animate some growing plant. how to do this? maybe, in the first frame, the plant hast aprox 10verts, in frame 100 it should have about 50 verts, because there is something ‘growing’ out of the plant.

does somebody know how to do this? is it possible ?

-Shaping it would be a nightmare (RVK).
-Scripting it would be a technical challenge.
-Rigging it would actually work:

Here is the idea:
-Build your plant when it’s at full growth.
-Rig it so every part of he plan you want to see growing will have a bone controling it. every bone should be a child of a bone up to a root.
-Scale every bone. Start with the last one in the chain up to the first one.The result will be very convincing.

Sarting with a full growth plan at the end of the animation I got back 10 frames and scale all the last bone at 0.1 then go back 10 frame and scalle the second last bones in the chain at 0.1 doing so will rescale the fist row of bone of 0.1 again, making them almost undetectable. I continue until there is only the Root at frame 1.
Have a peak: The Blend file
Blender 2.40 alpha 2 required.

YES!!! thats it. thank you dude!!!
awesome!

i have a question about your blend file…
i cant see any vertex group assigned, how do the bones work ? is there some kind of ‘automapping’ or something? because, i added some bones, extruded the mesh a bit more, and it automatically works. but there is a little failure in it, so i wanted to correct the vertex group. but there arent any :slight_smile:

another question is, isnt that process (or some kind of this process) scriptable very easy ? (i dont have experience in python yet!) i mean, all you have to do is:

-> go to last frame (this will be done by hand, so the frame you are on is the last one for your animation)
-> select the last bone (also done by hand, so the programm knows how to start) (maybe: Bone.015)
now the programm should do:
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.015 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.014 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.013 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Do this, until ‘Bone’ is reached.

is it complicated to do something with a script ? other programms have some kind of record function for something like this. if somebody knows, i dont ‘need’ it, but i want to start with that scripting stuff and that would be a good starting point.

-zeh

Yes, itt’s called envelope and can be changed in Envelope display mode, check in editbutton while in posemode.
You can select a bone and “scale” the zone of influence with alt-s

another question is, isnt that process (or some kind of this process) scriptable very easy ? (i dont have experience in python yet!) i mean, all you have to do is:

-> go to last frame (this will be done by hand, so the frame you are on is the last one for your animation)
-> select the last bone (also done by hand, so the programm knows how to start) (maybe: Bone.015)
now the programm should do:
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.015 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.014 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Go back 10 frames, scale Bone.013 to 0, insert keyframe.
-> Do this, until ‘Bone’ is reached.

is it complicated to do something with a script ? other programms have some kind of record function for something like this. if somebody knows, i dont ‘need’ it, but i want to start with that scripting stuff and that would be a good starting point.

-zeh

Like macro.
The Python API of blender is very powerfull. Though the api for the new armature stuff isn’t complete yet. dunno if you can do what you want now. will need to see the API first. and it’s not published yet.

Very nice Gabio - I’ll keep this in mind when I want to do lightning!

It’s far less jerky than using the build effect!

:o
very true. Though the anim will be way more fast.

nice technique indeed.

once the creating parts of the new armature api are in place, it will be pretty simple to script growth like that … make new branches appear etc … perhaps even the lsystem script should be modified to have an option to make trees with armatures so they growth can be animated nicely :o

~Toni