Grungit : 1-click wear and tear for Blender

That’s the occlusion, and it’s normal behavior. Unlike edge wear, occlusion depends on all the visible objects and it’s not limited to a single object. In the following example there is a hidden cuboid (still visible in render) that removes edge wear and adds dirt with the default settings

Try applying grungit in an emptry scene, or temporarily disable the plane’s render visibility, or if you don’t want occlusion you could set it to 0 from the node itself, but I don’t recommend it if you want to add AO dirt.

I agree, maybe I should reduce the default to something like 0.5, and also reduce the grunge and cracks and increase the global control accordingly.

You can try decreasing grunge and increasing global control

Try decreasing the size of the scratch texture, they will appear thicker, but also sometimes longer and you might need to reduce the scratch amount

Agreed, I will try and find some time to do that

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!

1 Like

I made minor updates that greatly improve the workflow in some cases:
1- Grungit always uses its own UV channel without setting it as the default UV channel. It’s now the default behavior and there are no extra steps required in order to keep your old UV channels and texture work, no matter how complex it is

2- Grungit now ignores materials that start with a “.” (eg: “.My Material”). It’s only temporary, a more robust solution with an interface will eventually replace it. You can notice how the material used in the highlighted area is ignored in 1.7.9

4 Likes

hello, is it possible for 2 object to have the exact seed and pattern?

i need them to be the same

one is fractured and on is not

edit: i fixed it by not using a proxy object and just animating the fractured object so i don’t need 2 objects

1 Like

Loving Grungit. Especially loving the PBR baking facility. I have one feature request though. I’d like the option to bake the grunge masks independently of the PBR option so that I can use Grungit to set everything up then take the mask images and work on them in completely new materials, or even in a different render engine to Cycles or EEVEE. The masks are just as handy in those engines too, of course. Thanks for creating such a great add-on.

2 Likes

That sounds useful, I’m working on it

2 Likes

The feature has been added to Grungit 1.8 and it’s available for download

3 Likes

Wow thank you I’ll give it a go this weekend. I didn’t expect it to be accepted and added that quickly. I know a few other artists who might need this as well so I’ll let them know.

1 Like

Really, this was something I too was thinking to put as a request. Having simply the masks is very important. You take them and build your own material.

The main needed thing is to have a variety of good masks. There lies the power of Substance Painter like apps besides. It is the vast variety of masks producing abilities they have that give them their so impressive power.

3 Likes

Just a personal request tho, i’ve been having problem buying stuff on blendermarket & gumroad for a year, worked fine last year ( 2018 ) but now it just won’t let me buy stuff. But artstation market is still fine to me tho, so can you upload this to artstation market please ? I’d love to buy it but other 2 sites keep throwing error :frowning:

Can you send me your email in a DM?

Finished a small project using grungit and i was wondering how can i incorporate the bevel node into it, i tried the simple method of just plugging it into the normal input like usual but there was a lot of flicker while animating it, it’s probably due to the denoiser though and not grungit

2 Likes

You just need to have the bevel node connected to the principled BSDF node before applying Grungit, or add it to the first “Normal” input (usually “Grungit”, but can be “Dirt” if that’s the only node you’re using). It works as expected.
(I can’t distinguish the flickering from video compression artifacts in the video you attached BTW)

The flickering could be due to the increased detail in the normals? Maybe reducing/removing the bump strength could help.
as a side note you should increase the samples in the bevel node to 8 or more, I noticed that it wasn’t very smooth and consistent when using only 4 samples

1 Like

Oh sorry the video i posted doesn’t have the problem because i removed the bevel node before rendering, i did a few tests and the problem seems to be unrelated to Grungit and happens when you animate the bevel node radius & use the denoiser on a fractured mesh

1 Like

Is it possible to put only scratches or only cracks -in various degrees- on the edges (without mixing them with the general grunge which is produced by default)?

I’m not sure I 100% understand what you want, but isn’t that just a matter of changing the values?

I did find the way to achieve it. It was something that has to do with changing the values indeed. Still learning its use! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good to hear!

1 Like

Hi,
Recently purchased Grungit but can’t get it to work in the version of Blender I wish to.
Using newer version through ecycles, 2.83.5, but it crashes upon click of anything with Grungit on it.
Am I just too ahead of the curve? lol
Thanks,
Robert

1 Like

Hi Robert,
Someone else reported the same issue, Blender E-Cycles crashes as soon as you apply Grungit, and it looks like it’s from E-Cycles end for now.

From the Gumroad page of E-Cycles:

Known Limitations of the RTX version:
[…]
Raytracing nodes (Bevel and AO)
Baking
[…]

Grungit uses the Bevel, AO and baking only when you apply it for the first time. Once it’s done and the texture is generated, you can use models that have Grungit applied with E-Cycles without any issue.
I recommend opening the model in official/daily blender Builds, apply Grungit, then bring the model back to your scene in E-Cycels

There is a similar limitation with OptiX in the official builds where it throws an error if you use AO, Bevel or try to bake. I made a workaround that switches temporarily to CUDA and then back to OptiX once it’s done. However I am not sure it’s possible to do that with E-Cycles, I presume the backend is changed so much. I don’t have a copy and cannot test it myself.