GSoC 2017 - Sculpting Tools

I know that the objectives of this scholarship are clear and fixed, but I just hang up a suggestion in Right Click Select to improve the Smoothing Brush.
For interest I leave here the link:
IMPROVE THE SMOOTH BRUSH FOR FLAT DYNTOPO SURFACES

Congratulations and thanks for the Topo Brush.

Ya sure, maybe after this project I might be looking in that also. It seems like a good idea.

I have done some tests and I think now I understand Hadriscus’s question. So the algorithm can detect geometries in a more advanced way than what makes “L” key in Edit mode? That’s really cool, and can be very useful for quick animations with Shape Keys.
I agree that later this could best become an option for all brushes.

I have the feeling that your work about topologies detecting algorithm, could also be used to improve masking system in sculpt mode. Well, I think that currently not even exist the possibility of directly in Sculpt Mode detecting and masking separate geometries (as with “L” in Edit mode).

Thanks!

Yes, that is true. We could more or less related it to connected proportional editing but difference is that connected proportional editing works only for separate mesh while this algorithm will be working for connected mesh which could give us flexibility to edit more complex shape without changing other vertices configuration. Hope, this will help artists in future…
Thank you.
May be, I will be extending its use once this gets finish.

Sorry but I have to ask because my language understanding is limited, and I think that Topological Grab will be a great addition to sculpting, and I asked for it several times.

Well, perhaps it’s better if I try to explain how it should behave to me:
the distance from the center of the brush and affected vertices should be measured along the surface and its effect should decrease by following the shape (curve) of the brush within its radius.
I mean that the distance of affected vertices should not be measured linearly like a ball radius.

The option to affect only connected vertices is another thing, and should be a separate option IMHO.
After all, it’s just like the proportional editing works.

EDIT: the image is partially wrong, since the left portion of the surface should be affected as well.

Thank you for your work!
paolo

Ya sure, I think I will be looking into that. But for now, as I am having limited time ( as per my proposal and GSoC schedule) I will be creating this brush within this time limit. After that, I will be positively looking into the method you have mentioned. That sounds great, as far I think.
Thank you.

No, thank you!

Please, pardon a stupid curiosity by a profan: wouldn’t be possible to adapt the code used for proportional editing?

paolo

At first, I wanted to do same! but while switching between sculpt and edit mode there are various functionality difference in mesh which makes it diffucult to apply edit mode operations directly in sculpt mode. Another reason why i didn’t use was: Connected proportional editing gives us flexibility to edit mesh which are not directly connected while we want a brush which should give us a functionality to edit a part of a single mesh.Hope, this makes some sense :P.
Thank you!

Thank you for your answer miyagix,
the first motivation has much sense to me, and it would be enough for discarding; the latter one I’m not sure to understand, proportional in edit mesh can be used on either connected or unconnected meshes, but never mind, don’t spend your time further with my doubts, I got an exhaustive answer.

Keep up the good work!
paolo

Solved Mirroring/Symmetry problem! Time for some code clean up!

I have no idea how this GSoC process works but I am very interested to know whether these Sculpt tools will make it into a general release (Trunk, I think it is known as). If so, would that be 2.79 or 2.8 or even further down the line?

I asked about a Blender equivalent to the ZBrush Move Topological brush on the DAZ Studio forum some time ago so I’d love to be able to update that with a positive “it is coming soon” message. In the meantime, can anyone suggest a workaround using the current sculpt brushes?

heyy,
Good to know that you have suggested this features. Currently, this brush is in progress and I will be trying to complete it soon. Currently, it has some bugs in dyntopo mode. I guess, once I finish it off, it would be a matter of time to release it in latest version of Blender. To use it, just follow the steps that I have suggested in first post of this thread.
Thank you.

Thanks. I’m a Blender novice and I use it for a little morphing of pre-existing models rather than creating from scratch. So I have a long way to go before I would be a confident user. So, as for downloading your branch - I must admit I wouldn’t have a clue how to install it. I followed your link and was taken to a download page with sculpt.c but I am not a programmer and I’m assuming that requires compiling and somehow adding to the Blender executable I have installed. Again - not a clue how to do any of that. All of which explains why I was asking about whether it will be included in an official release any time soon.

If that is the case, then I guess you have you wait until I finish it off :P. Still, if you want you learn how to install and compile these files, you might want to visit: https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Building_Blender. Here, They have provided a detailed steps to compile and execute blender. This will also help you to look into lot of other branches in developer.blender.org as there are always some interesting contributions in various other blender branches.
Hope this will help!

Of course I don’t mind waiting until you finish it :slight_smile: My original question was about what Blender version (2.79, 2.8, etc.) might include it - if at all. As I said, I don’t know how these GSoC projects become part of the general release but I think it would be a very useful addition to the toolset and I hope it gets included.

Please, will the clipping brush have the option of simply DELETING the geometry under the brush?

This would be hugely usefull for cleaning 3d scan data. Currently there is no reasonable way to do cleaning of meshes after scanning. I think it would be actually very simple for you. There is no need to keep things manifold or something, just be able to delete parts of a mesh that has 1-10mil. polygons…

Another hugely usefull feature would be DEFEATURE brush, which is in some way similar to clipping brush - for what I mean see artec studio:

Actually the clip brush that i will be making will be cutting hole through a mesh as per brush radius for now. In future, Its feature can be enhanced by implementing it with silheutte brush(Another GSoC project of this year) which will be giving it more flexibility.

And the stuff that you are talking about is somewhat similar to scrap brush. Might be we can use scrap brush to do that thing, i.e. deleting a geometry from a mesh. If I have misunderstand you, Please do correct me…

Now, Topograb is kind of working good in Normal Mesh mode and Dynamic Topology mode. There is still some problem while using it with multires. Also, It will work in simpler mesh for now. High density mesh can show some error. Hope, you all want to try this brush.

You can see demo here:
Current Topograb demo in Normal Mesh: https://github.com/rajakedia1/GSoC-1…ograb_mesh.gif
Current Topograb demo in Bmesh: https://github.com/rajakedia1/GSoC-1…grab_bmesh.gif

So, as I understand now brush works like proportional editing AND edits only connected mesh. Would it be hard to make the ‘work only on connected mesh’ as an switchable option for every brush? That would be super usefull.

Does this mean the mirroring/symmetry problem for your brushes or the general sculpting mirroring problem? For example if you’ve got a perfectly symmetrical model, you sculpt with mirroring and when you try to edit the model using x-mirror you’ll notice the vertices for the mirrored side weren’t mirrored perfectly so the symmetry is lost.

This made symmetry sculpting useless for me because I used sculpting as a poly modeling tool for characters, but when it messed up the character it obviously wasn’t useful anymore. I guess if you’re just sculpting it doesn’t matter, but I don’t see why there couldn’t be a perfect symmetry mode which maybe is slower (because of the added accuracy) but acts like true symmetry, you can use sculpt mode and edit mode together without any problems.

Because of this issue I had to make all my characters using a mirror modifier, which makes things a bit more complicated when you want shape key export and non-mirrored UVs (but possible). I’m just curious if anyone else has had similar problems.