GSoC 2017 Silhouette Brush

Yo witt, i just tried it with the latest build it still crashing. Can we meet sometimes in IRC to track the problem down?

Sure! I am sorry it is not working yet. I will be online in irc tomorrow between 9:30 ~ 18:00 CEST.
Thanks for your efforts!

-Most likely i will be online after 18:00 as well :wink:

I think this is a great tool and it will be super useful. One thing that might be tricky is that it’s a 2d tool in a 3d program. So depth perception might be throw off a bit, but I saw how it snaps on to the mesh. It could be tricky if you want to only put it on one small part of the mesh. Maybe you could do a 3d thing that you can scale and move then when you are ready snap it on. I think it is a great tool and I can’t wait for it.

Thats a good idea! So after drawing you have a handle to manipulate loc/rot/scale of the added part. I’ve added it to my list and will maybe give it a shot if the other stuff runs smoothly!

Witt, thanks for the credit, it was my pleasure to play with it while it was still hot :slight_smile: Let’s make to the master together, i m around and following :wink:

Yo Witt and others Just wanted to share a video that i made using this tools during sculptember2017, the tool is much stable now use :slight_smile:
Witt I m hoping that you still hanging around with us.

Hi erickBlender,
I am still here! Its just I have almost no time at the moment :confused:
I am planning to get back into it in mid November till then I hope to find some time to do some minor bugfixes.

Cool video, I see there are still a lot of issues which need to be resolved. Symmetry, spacing, UI-indicators, the list is long :wink:
Thanks for the poke and motivation! :slight_smile:

Good that you are with us.
With you have time please update your branch because Campbell had touched some stuffs in sculpt mode :wink:
Take your time, no rush and remember to enjoy your life :slight_smile:

This is a very important tool for the sculpting mode… is its development still alive?

He said he will be back, finger crossed :slight_smile:

this would be useful

Still no news about this so needed tool! It would be good to have it even in an experimental version, having a small options tab in the sculpt mode (for not having to remember keyboard shortcuts all the time)!

Yo @Witt did you apply for GSOC 2019, the deadline is tomorrow, you still have time :slight_smile:

Hi @erickBlender ,
thanks for not having lost all hope yet.
The deadline tomorrow is not for students as far as I know, it is for the organisations. Student applications are open from March 25th to April 9th. Currently I do not plan to participate this year unfortunately. I am currently doing my bachelor thesis and i was planning to have some time off afterwards.
In the past I said a few times that i will get back to the project, but haven’t yet. My real commitment obviously differs from my hopes to contribute.
I hope to come back to this one day, and also my skills improve.
I will definitely consider applying to GSOC 2019, and regardless hope to contribute in the future.
But other plans and liabilities somehow always cross my plans…

On another note, I am not so sure about the Silhouette Brush, the underlying mesh datastructures really aren’t made to support drastic changes to the mesh like removing and adding vertices.

3 Likes

Glad to read from you again, I m Blender User i believe in Miracle :wink:
It will be sad to drop all that work you did and let it collect dust. I understand that the underlying mesh data structures is not made for that type of operation that what almost every devs have said in the past but if you think you can do something to improve that that will be a great help us Users.

Good luck with your thesis :muscle::+1:
and anytime you feel like surprising us, our faith in Blender will grow stronger, i say Amen in the name of Suzanne :joy: