GSoC 2019 LANPR Updates Here!

In latest graphicall build from 2019-08-01 it seems there is no more crashes when rendering viewport animation with GP automatic frame update enabled . :wink: Also it feels to me it renders much faster.

1 Like

New UI is pretty neat too.Very easy to navigate and understand. :slight_smile:
Background settings seem to be missing tough so alpha channel is unavailable again.

I can’t seem to get the Grease Pencil working in the last couple of versions. What exactly are the steps to have it work?

Playing around with LANPR on my latest project (still WIP). The raw lines have some issues that I’ve cleaned up by hand, and I’ve re-drawn the hair lines from scratch (and a bunch of the hair shading too. My hair model isn’t very good this time around).

Original Render:

After paintover in Krita:

I did boost the thickness of the silhouette lines in the compositor a little bit using Dilate/Erode on the alpha and combining it with the LANPR lines.

The line rendering works wonderfully, and its so fast! Even at the original render resolution of 3600x4800, it still barely took any time.

The only issue I’m noticing is some of the quality. The LANPR lines seem to be quite pixelated/aliased, and there are random white pixels in them in some areas. I blur them a bit to help, but its still not great.

4 Likes

Yes, I agree LANPR lines could really benefit from. antialiasing like pencil+.

1 Like

Seems pretty good now! This is a wonderful render!

The anti-aliasing isn’t perfect, it’s using GPU’s builtin AA. (Currently hard-coded at 8x) Maybe you could use GPencil strokes, and set viewport GPencil AA to 16x or something.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also, the line weight can be tapered using GPencil modifier or using LANPR engine’s built-in taper functions.

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I’ve figured out the grease pencil stuff now thanks to the documentation you put up. The next version will use Grease Pencil!

I’m unable to build,Im gettings at least 6 of those errors (I think I’ll just wait for the Graphicall build :disappointed:)

c:\blender-git\blender\source\blender\draw\engines\lanpr\lanpr_engine.c(388): error C4133: ‘function’: incompatible typ
es - from ‘unsigned char *’ to ‘const int *’ [C:\blender-git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc15_Release\source\blender\draw\bf
_draw.vcxproj]

Should be OK by now. Give it a try :slight_smile:

1 Like

Building successfull :slight_smile: thanx
In Lanpr has background settings been moved somewhere else? I can’t seem to find them so Im not able to render with alpha channel anymore.

It uses world background instead for simplicity :slight_smile:
Alpha uses world transparency. But seems broken again…

LANPR is now in patch review.
https://developer.blender.org/D5442

This is a major addition to Blender, so the entire process might take awhile.

9 Likes

Yiming Wu, thank you. So glad to hear that it is being moved to Code Review, for potential inclusion, as I look forward to using it when released. Great stuff. I still use Freestyle but some of the development with LANPR seems to be growing more ‘artistic’ and expressive, thanks to your efforts.
I had sent a letter to Ton, who spoke highly of your work and contribution. I was bringing his attention to a Watercolor Shader project MNPRX Watercolor Shader, that I would welcome being brought to Blender. I tend to use Post Processing and Compositor ‘hacks’ for this effect. Currently it is developed and used in Maya, but the source is Open and the developer said that it should be possible. Just thought to let you know, if you need another good reason to “stay on with Blender!!” So glad you came on board with GSOC.

2 Likes

Background color fixed, use Film->transparent.

1 Like

Hi, I have heard this from other places I couldn’t remember where. I’ve got contacted with some developers who is interested in this too.

This shader is indeed a great thing! I’ll look into it after finished this stage’s task which is to integrate LANPR.

Thanks for the mentioning.

4 Likes

Ton had mentioned that he would pass it along where appropriate to team members, but I did not expect that my mention to him would necessarily provoke any communication. Glad you found it interesting. I had written to you in the past, before the GSOC 2018 beginning, and encouraged you to apply for funding. So glad it has worked out well for you. Carry on!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words :smiley:

Is there an up to date build available anywhere? Graphicall seems to be down at the moment.

Yeah it’s down at the moment, hold on I’ll ask for a win64 build.