GSoC: Advice and suggestions needed

my usual disclaimer applies here; i’m mainly a maya user, but i do a lot of lighting using ibl and whatnot, so feel free to ignore my posts…

-light painting into layers? trying to imagine how i’d use this in production; i’d want to be able to paint my keylight, my rimlights and indirect lights seperately, then be able to independantly rotate them as you show in your video. yes yes, i may as well use real lights… but i’d hate to paint a certain lighting configuration, only to have to destroy/repaint half of it to move a keylight.
-load textures into each layer
-see the unwrapped texture realtime in angular/lat-long format, so i’d know what to expect if i tweak the map in photoshop/gimp/blender compositor
-ability to ‘bake’ a real light into the lightpaint system, and do the reverse; convert a region (or the entire ibl) to real lights. having really strong keylights in your IBL can sometimes cause problems with sampling; often i’ll paint that lights out of the ibl and replace it with a spotlight or area light.
-support for linear colorspace very important, should be there by default really
-textured brushes? would be amazing to load a image of a car headlight, like this: ( http://girlintheblackcar.com/images/Vette/UtahVettes/vettehids.JPG ) and have that throw pattern appear on your images.

thats all i can think of for the moment, will do more if you find my blatherings useful. :slight_smile:

-matt

If you go to the bottom of the page Jingyuan linked to you’ll find a couple of Windows implementations.

Here and here.

Might be worth downloading one and playing around with it. Get an idea of how they work.

i saw the video reference

and like what you can do with it interactively
it looks very powerfull tool and would be a nice addition to blender

now from another point of view this is completely artificiel and not a realist lighting technic
but it’s an amazing tool to change lighting on specific object
to do this manullay would require to play with several lamps and time to tweek each light sourcce in terms of distance , angle , color ect.

when can we have an SVN built with what has already been done
and test this to see and may be help to debug it

Happy blendering

This project looks fun, but I struggle to understand how it will work without image based lighting. Or is that part of the project too?

I agree with William,it’s not clear to me if ibl will be done or not,as for now blender doesn’t have it(ok,there is broken’s patch but it’s not in svn as far as I know)

From October

From March

Looks like it’s a question of Broken being able to find the time and 2.5 stabilising.

Watching the video again, the thing that struck me was the ‘inserting an object into a
picture’ part. There’s a shot where they’re including the bunny in a sunset. So the light’s
coming from behind the object. To get the light correct they had to paint on the rim of
the bunny. They are in front of it trying to paint the side facing away from them.

I was thinking it might be easier if you could paint that side. You could have two
windows, one with the normal picture and object, and another with the picture and
object reversed with the object semi-transparent so you can see the background
through it. Then you can light the back whilst picking colours from the picture and you
can see the results in the other window.

Not sure if that would be of any use.

Also it might be an idea to edit your first post in this thread and include the link to the
video. It’s not easy to find halfway down the page.

My branch now has a basic workflow. I still need to make several bug fixes, but it’s good if people can play with it and let me know if there are bugs/crashes/problems. I started a simple manual here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/User_Manual_for_Light_Paint As you can see I’m still working on the manual, but I hope it’s useful to get you started. Light paint is pretty simple at this point and no complex workflow is supported yet.

I think we can achieve these (or similar features) after we have light nodes (which is the focus of the next stage).

There is a preview now for light environment. Unfortunately there is also a bug because of how preview is done for light env. (bug list is here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/Bug_List)

I’m not sure about these features. They are probably outside of the scope of this project, but I will take notes and see if light paint can be extended to a more powerful tool in the future.

Come on people, a bit more comments on this please :slight_smile:

Martin

I have no response. The page is a bit more technical than artistic, in terms of explaining.

I apologize for that. I’m not an artist, so I tend to put too much technical details in the docs. Have you looked at the manual (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Yukishiro/User_Manual_for_Light_Paint) yet? Is it too technical? I think there will be builds on graphicall.org soon, so that people don’t have to checkout the source and build it themselves. :slight_smile:

So, it’s basically a way to indirectly paint into an HDR image?

As I did understand it is more like a way to paint the lighting directly to the model…
Normaly you set your lightsource and test where the modell is brighter and where darker and now you paint point where the model shall be brighter and darker and the lightsource is generated…

maybe I’m wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi yukishiro,

I do not think the Wiki manual is technical. =)
This is the project that interested me most of all GSOC 09. I really want to test it.
I don’t know how to build (I know it’s ease on linux…=P), when someone build for Ubuntu 8.10 b4 bits I will test it and give you some feedback.

Thanks for your work. =)

PS: sorry for any English mistakes.

Yes, with the HDR image being the “light source”, that’s indeed what I meant :slight_smile:

a linux 64bit build is available now!
click to download http://graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=1046

intel mac build is available at http://graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=1047

very nice. got to render a colored Suzanne :slight_smile:

It seems to work properly on this end.
Saving the Probe Image is also very nice and usefule, although i was not able to open the probe in Photoshop and my image viewer said that it had a bit depth of 8.
I saved it as an .exr (wild guess?).

Things that would be nice are a preview of the probe in the 3D Background view and possibilities to rotate the probe and see the effects in realtime :slight_smile:
just reread your docs, very nice :slight_smile:

Also is there a reset button? and what is that initial lighting which disappears after the initial stroke?
other than that some prerender image manipulation options would be nice (like curve adjustments, general gain? modifier)
blending modes (add, subtract, multiply for the brush, maybe textures?)
Also i had the feeling the brush was applying itself to the back facing (hidden by geometry) faces as well as the painted ones?

I just tested some more and is it possible that the probe is scaled at -1 along the x-Axis?

The viewport shows the left side as bright and in the render its the right side

Very nice work and thanks very much.

for the 64bit linux build it depends on liblapack.so.3

in ubuntu jaunty I got :
liblapack-dev but that didn’t work…
neither did liblapack3gf…

any ideas?