GSOC and whats next ?.

kinda curious what happens next, Gsoc is at its end or near to the end i believe;
There are still some bugs and areas of interest and other improvements possible in most of the GSOC blender projects i followed.

Is Gsoc just a $$$ grand, so coders can work longer on areas of interest and still be able to pay the bills ?.
I’m wondering cause some Gsoc students didnt make it to the end, and thus what happens to the ones who did make it to the end ?. some reward ?

Will there be a GSOC -blender version with all GSOC areas compiled into 1 experimental version ?.
Or are there new project plans layed out as to which Bledner version will contain what , or is it all 2.8 and later ?.

Will there be a GSOC -blender version with all GSOC areas compiled into 1 experimental version ?.
There never has been in the past so no reason to think there will be one now.

Or are there new project plans layed out as to which Bledner version will contain what , or is it all 2.8 and later ?.
They may never get into blender, I’d guess most projects never do.

Is Gsoc just a $$$ grand, so coders can work longer on areas of interest and still be able to pay the bills ?.
I’m wondering cause some Gsoc students didnt make it to the end, and thus what happens to the ones who did make it to the end ?. some reward ?

Payment.

• Stipends. Subject to subsection (b) below, Students and Organizations may receive stipends from Google as follows:
    [LIST]
  • Students accepted to the Program and in good standing with their Organization after the Community Bonding Period may receive a $500 USD stipend shortly after coding begins. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that a Mentor notifies the Program Administrators of a Student who has not sufficiently participated in the Community Bonding Period, such Student will be removed from the Program and will not be eligible to receive this stipend.
  • Each Student who has received a passing mid-term Evaluation and who has submitted the mid-term evaluation of his or her Mentor on time may receive a $2,250 USD stipend shortly after the mid-term Evaluation deadline.
  • Each Student who has received a passing final Evaluation and who has submitted the final Evaluation of his or her Mentor on time may receive a $2,750 USD stipend shortly after the final Evaluation deadline.
  • At the end of the Program, Organizations may receive (i) a $500 USD stipend per Student mentored, and (ii) subject to Sections 7.1(e)(vi) and (vii), a $2,200 USD stipend to send up to two (2) Members to the Mentor Summit, by making a request through the form provided by Google by August 22, 2016. Google is not required to pay for amounts requested after this date.
    [LIST]
  • In order to receive payment, Organizations must register as a supplier in Google’s payments system by August 1, 2016. Google will issue purchase orders for the relevant amount, and the Organization will invoice Google. Google is not required to pay any invoice submitted more than ninety (90) days after the end of the Program.
  • Google is not required to pay any stipends to any Student or Organization who violates any applicable law or regulation, including money laundering regulations.
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]

GSOC is for (university) students who seek to have a summer job (i.e. earning money during the summer break); furthering their coding skills along the way and learning what developing inside an (open source) organization might look like. Once GSOC is over, it’s over. They are not paid for after the period is over, the money they receive from Google is for the GSOC period only.

I don’t think there is a special reward for finishing the job. The goal is not to finish the job, but to get some insight into real (not school homework) development. To complement the answer, they resume their studies at their respective universities (after the break is over). If their studies are over they’ll probably try to get a job.

No. (Not officially, nothing prevents you to do that on your own though.)

Finished and accepted projects will be merged either in master or in the 2.8 branch depending on how the project affects Blender (for example, the layer manager will be 2.8, since it touches sensitive areas).

A couple years ago, they tried to put all the devs work in one branch (salad branch?)sergey tomato, psy-fi carrot
Was a fun year for soc (¤¿¤)

still so many GSOC projects never made it to master
wondering is it worth doing it ?

thanks
happy cl

Worth it to whom? To the students, who get real-world experience working in a large codebase? To the open source projects, who can get an early start on grooming potential new developers? To the users, who get to continue their involvement with the open source development process (but perhaps don’t see new features right away)?

Two out of three parties involved are clearly getting value from GSOC. Sounds worthy to me.

agreed it has value for the student

I was thinking more about what we the users get in the end !

I mean these GSOC are supposed to bring in some interesting new features for the users
but so many never end up being added in master

kind of frustrating to see some interesting feature and not getting it !

happy bl

Regardless of the projects that haven´t made it, a lot of Blender features we take for granted have been added through GSOC, so yeah it´s worth it.

would it be easy to combine the compilation (err compiler is that a verb?) of bsdrf and denoiser ?