GSoC: Multires/sculpting/brush improvements (N. Bishop ect...), discussion thread

Will you tackle mesh hiding feature as in 2.49? Been missing in 2.5 so far.
Masking is great, but a resym feature would be useful, when used with mask.
Your branch looks good so far, can’t wait till sculpt mode gets to production proof level.

ndee - You mean like a global smooth? Might be useful to have such global operations, yes.

Jose - We already have that shortcut key, at least in sculpt mode (PageUp, PageDown.) As for the rest – it sounds cool. We’ll add such things if we have time. :slight_smile:

Daniel - Sculpt already works on shape keys, for some time. Just remember to pin the shape key before sculpting on it. (Note that it works with multires, but the shape key itself is not multires, it still uses the base mesh’s topology.) As for the other thing, yes it’s a bug.

CG_Tiger - Yes, mesh hiding is planned. I’ll let you know more when I get to that. As for resymm, that may be something Jason will look at?

Thanks,
-Nicholas

any chance of integrating some of the script done up to now

like the surface sculpting to help retopo on an existing high res model

it would be a great new tool in 2.5

Thanks and happy 2.5

@ Nicholas
its sort of smooth. But smooth does also effect the shape. With relax I mean, that it just smoothes the topologie but not the shape. For example you have some extrem deformations in the mesh and you have a lack of polygons in that areas. You relax the mesh, and topolgie density changes in this area you paint. I hope it is understandable what I mean. Unfortunately I am not native english :slight_smile:

ndee I get what you’re trying to say, but in every package out there relax == smooth… not sure it’s possible to change topology density without changing shape really

ndee, I can imagine this is something like smooth+shrinkwrap projection on the original surface. I’d consider this tool usefull at some times, although relatively rarely.
MichaelW, I think I have seen this exactly this way in some packages.

Yep…
Sculptris relaxes the shape sort of. Especially when you use the grab tool. You should have a look. Turn on Wireframe. If you grab the mesh and pull it out it creates new vertices, but also it relaxes the mesh. It is very good to see that the topologie tweaks a little bit afterwards. I know, sculptris works with dynamic mesh, but I think this feature could be a nice addition.

@pildanovak
yep, I think this should work something like that.

EDIT
To go further with that idea. What about a density brush. This Brush doesn’t effect the shape but only the topology. Similar to pinch, but without effecting the Shape as already said. Maybe this brush could be something for jwilkins soc.

Isn’t pinch(with sub) basically similar to what your asking for?
Perhaps with a little modification a brush like what your asking for could be created based on it. :slight_smile:

Ah, I understand what you mean now by relaxing the mesh. That’s an interesting idea, certainly something to think about, but outside the scope of my project.

As a general guide, only things having to do with multires are part of my project. There’s obviously some crossover into the sculpt/paint tools, such as adding the mask brush, but masks themselves, like mesh hiding, require multires support, and so they’re part of the project.

Here is how relaxing is done in zbrush:
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Tool:Morph_Target_Subpalette
so it’s kinda what pildanovak says.

More wishes for project from me (top - UV/Image Editor, Bottom 3d view paint mode):

• so i wish brush texture wouldn’t repeat itself in UV editor but worked like in 3d paint mode (bottom)
  • hotkeys for brush size and intensity (f and ctrl+f) don’t work in UV/Image editor
  • in 3d paint mode brush texture size is dependent on zoom level (bottom of image have painted cloud texture with same brush size but different zoom levels). It’s sucks, imo, because you have to stay in same zoom level if you want have same size of detail. When i zoom out I would rather like brush to affect bigger area - but brush texture to stay the same

Hope you will consider fixing some of these.

Jose - as I said, my project is really focused on multires. Your requests might be covered somewhat by Konrad’s gsoc project, though.

Jose, that’s not “relax”, that’s restoring a stored state!

pildanovak, what you describe would do it, but can you remember which package does it like that? Where? In almost every case I’ve seen it’s just a smooth brush.

MichaelW, look at bottom of link I provided. There are 6 points how to relax mesh with morph target. I think it would work with projecting higher level details from copy (with smoothed (relaxed) vertexes) to original mesh . So yep smooth == relax but then you can project details back from original copy. I don’t know if projecting details is possible in blender (guess not)

In B2.49b, we could enable multres, and tab into edit mode for the current level.
In B2.5, when I go into edit mode, it only allow editing of the bottom level.
Are you able to add this as a TODO?

CG_Tiger - what would that be for? The editmode never performed well with high vertcounts. and if you want to move single vertices, you can do that allready with the sculptmode and a small brush.For me this seems like a feature which would be a out of the design hacky thing, since multires is now a modifier.

Quick question. What’s the difference between the brushes and the tools in the sculpt mode tool shelf? They seem redundant, I know they most probably aren’t and I just have no clue as to how one is suppose to be leveraged against the other. Anyone care to enlighten me? :slight_smile:

A brush is what you actually use to sculpt or paint, a tool is the tool a brush uses. Every brush has it’s own parameters like size, strength and curve.
For example: you could make a new brush that has a stripe texture and the rake option turned on if you use ithis combination a lot, this way you don’t need to constantly change the options to change between this and other brushes.
Idealy you should only change the tool if you make a new brush.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply. Didn’t think of it that way, sense all the rest of blender is left open, customizable and dynamic like that I should have assumed. Awesome. So the items under brushes are the default presets, the things under them are what they’re preset to, easy enough, now I feel dumb for having asked.

looking at Zbrush screen, some nicer wire on mesh would be also useful in sculpting (with different thickness of sub-surf levels antialiased wires a…

Some recent Nicholas commits bring back the ability to hide some parts of the mesh, great addition!

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2010-June/028677.html

Brought back hiding parts of the mesh in sculpt mode in proper 2.5-style. (No more ugly reordering of mesh elements leading to mesh corruption!)

UI changes:

• Ctrl+Alt brings up a border select you can hide a rectangular area of the mesh with.
  • Ctrl+Shift is the same, but hides the area outside of the rectangle.
  • Clicking without dragging while holding either Ctrl+Alt or Ctrl+Shift will re-show hidden areas.
  • Added these three operations to the Sculpt menu.

Hiding areas is done by rebuilding the PBVH and excluding primitives based on whether their AABB intersects the user-selected areas. Note that for multires meshes, the primitives are grids, not faces, so if you are bad and use multires on a plain cube, there are only 6*4 grids that can be hidden.

TODO:

• Applying multires temporarily shows hidden areas. Once you start sculpting they hide themselves again. Same for turning off display of multires modifier.
  • Going to multires level zero also shows hidden areas improperly.

Plus several bugfix:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2010-June/028697.html

correct handling of sculpting along the boundary between hidden areas and unhidden areas on a multires:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2010-June/028704.html

and undo for masks too!!
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-blender-cvs/2010-June/028708.html

Fantastic work as usual, Nicholas, thank’s a lot!