GSoc Proposal - Make 3d Text Easier to Manipulate (and animate)

Hello,

This proposal is about using blender3d in place of powerpoint so the audience becomes interested in the topic.
I submitted the proposal but I haven’t had anyone review it yet. Any constructive critiquing [or encouragement ] would be great. I really want to participate this year and increase my chances of getting picked. so here is the link:
http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/amdbcg/1

After you read the text:

1. Does the document clearly state what I’m trying to do ?
  2. Is this an understandable document for non-native english speakers ?

Thanks for looking!

HI Robert, your proposal looks interesting, its a little short on detail and seems quite wide in scope… maybe have a look at after effects and motion for some inspiration for what tools are useful in motion graphics… there is a python addon called ‘re:Phrase’ which alongside the authors other addon ‘re:Lay’ which goes a long way toward the kind of things that are used day to day in production. I would definitely think about focussing on a general motion graphics approach rather than competing with powerpoint per se.

I had a quick look for some links for after effects reference for you , but came up with many (animation presets are where its at in AE) this youtube link shows some of them, though it is a rather boring video tutorial…

im on the blender irc channels most days as christiankrupa, love to chat with you if it will help,

best,

Chris

ps I forgot to mention, ‘JTA’, also on blendercoders irc etc mentioned that he was planning to implement some text workflow improvements, might be good to liase with him also…

k, thanks for the feedback.

its a little short on detail and seems quite wide in scope

you are right. I’m looking for a happy medium between the extreme scope and depth . In school, quite a few professors teach “a mile wide and an inch deep.” Thanks for pointing this out. I will work on trimming down the scope and going into more detail.

there is a python addon called ‘re:Phrase’ which alongside the authors other addon ‘re:Lay’ which goes a long way toward the kind of things that are used day to day in production

Yes. Those are definitely what I want to work on! Thanks for showing me!

I would definitely think about focussing on a general motion graphics approach rather than competing with powerpoint per se.

Fair enough. I suppose I just forgot the word.
Thanks for looking it over. I will start revamping it. Also, thanks for the links!
I’ll try to be available on blenderchat and blendercoders more often .
-Robert [amdbcg]