Gtown Challenge Demo

Hi,

This is the first demo from Gtown. It is a challenge play. I hope you enjoy playing it.

Requirements:

• Blender Version: 2.58 might also work on 2.56/2.59 but not 2.6+ (I am working on it as things are a bit different)

• Tested on Windows and Mac (tested with Blenderplayer but does not work as the blend files are 2.49. So it works with Blenderplayer 2.49 (but I have not all scripts written for 2.49 :no:))

• Up-to-date computer (min. 30 Fps, min. 2.5 GB Ram perhaps you need to close all other programms)

Goal of Game:
This is not the final Game it is just a challenge. So you need to trap certain enemies and deactivate certain weapons. You will find the right places on the Gtown map (red squares). If you have all square green then you need to get to the endpoint which is the highest point in the downtown (see image below red cross).

Start Game:
Download the Game, unzip it and open levels/Start_Menu.blend - just hit P

Game Controls:
http://www.gtown.ch/de/entwicklung/file-information-bge-folder/game-control.html

Hints for gameplay:
Try mosquitos to trap into spidernets. Spiders you can trap with the “trunk trap”. Use boxes to climb on high objects or buildings.

Video of gameplay:

or if on phone:

Copyright stuff:
You can use everything as you want and how you want, I have made everything from textures to sound.

Highscore list:
Please do not cheat and change values from within the blends. Thanks.

Good to know: always by saving, the score gets updated on the homepage.
Starting points = never saved before is 5000.05.

A list of all active player and a temporary highscore list
http://www.gtown.ch/de/entwicklung/active-players-list.html

Highscore list - only if you successfully reached the endpoint:
http://www.gtown.ch/de/entwicklung/score-list.html

Feedbacks please:
Please tell me what you like and don’t like. Any suggestions, bugs and so on. Thanks a lot.

KnownBugs/or improvement needed:
- For the demo I have made the run motion faster in order to get to places faster but now the player slides more. (This will be solved in the Version for Blender 2.61)
-I know there is not everything perfect or needs improvements but this is only a demo so please give me feedbacks.

Blender Crashes:

By the way, the game might crash sometimes, so Save now and then. (This is because of the sound)

Download the game here:
http://www.gtown.ch/de/entwicklung/file-liste/Gtown/Gtown-1.5-challenge-demo/

Have fun playing.

hi

i download your blend (because from screenshot seem very cool,seem a bit Gran Thief Auto :wink: )
then I read which is required 2.5GB, never seen requisement hight as this!
I tried anyway
but in effectly, go over the limit (i have 2 GB,but no have much program open) and must close blender
try again to close all program…

anyway your work is impressive!

I really want to play but I’m on my Mac so all the files are different blends, which one do I open first? Looks really nice though.
Btw, all of your .blend/sounds are there.

@MarcoIT
Sorry that it is not working because of the RAM. But there is no way of decreasing the RAM usage as there are lot of different objects.

@RossBlenderArt
I tested it on MAC and it works fine. You need to open the same as on Windows. Just open levels/Start_Menu.blend.

Btw, all of your .blend/sounds are there.

Yeap, they are all there.

And thanks all a lot for testing the game. :slight_smile:

Ah, thank you, it takes ages for me to load, but I guess it’s worth it! :slight_smile: It even tells me blender is not responding, lol. So far I have successfully loaded it in wireframe, here comes textures… :smiley:

EDIT: Textures are working, about (at a guess) 15-20 FPS on this Mac 10.5.8 (old?).

Nice game, even at this low-ish FPS, it’s still quite fun :smiley:

Suggestions/Comments:
The intro at the beginning, I like it but it could do with some sound. :slight_smile:
Is a Multi-Textured version possible? I can’t handle GLSL and most of the game runs fine with MT
Sprinting confused me, is it spamming of the Up arrow key? :s
Jumping was…fun!
Who kept shooting arrows at me? :stuck_out_tongue:
I noticed the text at the start doesn’t animate (2.6 actions?). 2.6 was actually fine for this otherwise.
In requirements put GLSL! :frowning:

Keep it up, I will play this on a high-end computer soon! I hope! :wink:

Hey thanks a lot RossBlenderArt for your time testing it.

it takes ages for me to load

On my computer it takes about 30 seconds. On my Mac about 1 minutes. I first had a version with dynamic loading. But I disliked it as it was freezing during gameplay while loading. So I think it is better when it loads only at the beginning.

The intro at the beginning, I like it but it could do with some sound.

Most of the sound is missing. If someone is interested in making sound effects just contact me. The current sound effects I made with sunvox.

Is a Multi-Textured version possible?

I have never tested it. But most will show right except in the downtown there might be not everything show up right.

Sprinting confused me, is it spamming of the Up arrow key?

What do you mean by this?

I noticed the text at the start doesn’t animate (2.6 actions?). 2.6 was actually fine for this otherwise.

Never noticed that. Thanks for the hint. So this should be solved in the 2.6+ version.

Some interesting ideas there. Seems that spamming jump near a wall can take you all the way top? Also sliding doors had some glitches at their top-right corners - clipping problem, overlapping faces? Please,when you make such videos skip the loading time :slight_smile: Noone wants to watch even 30sec of nothing. I didn’t see LOD in action. Open space as yours will greatly benefit from it.You can make the environment much richer with it. Great job so far.

Hey thanks a lot Goh for your thoughts.

Seems that spamming jump near a wall can take you all the way top

Does it still? I thought I solved that problem. But propably not. Thanks I will try to solve it again.

Also sliding doors had some glitches at their top-right corners - clipping problem, overlapping faces

Thanks, I am aware of this. I will eleminate this in the next version.

I didn’t see LOD in action

That’s a good sign if you didn’t notice the LOD.

Open space as yours will greatly benefit from it.You can make the environment much richer with it.

What you mean by that.

No problem. :slight_smile:

On my computer it takes about 30 seconds. On my Mac about 1 minutes.

my Mac isn’t that new, I think it’s 2007.

Most of the sound is missing. If someone is interested in making sound effects just contact me. The current sound effects I made with sunvox.

I can’t help, but what you have is good. :slight_smile:

I have never tested it. But most will show right except in the downtown there might be not everything show up right.

Yeah, the hills/rocks look crazy!

What do you mean by this?

To sprint, what buttons do I press? The only way I could get it working was by spamming the up Arrow Key.

Again, nice work, keep it up! :smiley:

To sprint, what buttons do I press?
Ah now I understand. Sorry for that. It’s a doubleklick. You only need to press the up arrow twice.

I was just playing and I started lagging (computer) next thing I’m on the ground rolling around/crawling instead of walking. Best glitch ever. :smiley:

I watched the video, and I must say… hmmm… there’s the “fun” factor missing!
Maybe because the player walks alone in a city block? The giant mosquito and spider seem extremely easy to kill! I thought they would very challenging!
Well, you have a game working, add the missing stuff and everything will go well. I’m still downloading the game…

Edit…
yup, it crashed! Win 7 64, 4 GB ram,Blender 2.59 Nvidia GTX275
As soon as the mosquito was ab. 100m, the game shut Blender down!

Sorry that I haven’t replied for a long time but I was snowboarding with a school class and the internet connection was really bad.

I’m on the ground rolling around/crawling
I will remove this action in the next release as it is useless for the gameplay.

there’s the “fun” factor missing!
Yep your totally right. I tried it hard to get some fun factor but this is not as easy as you might think. So please any suggestions on how to get more fun playing it would be really great. I also played with the idea to arm the boy with weapons eventhough I didn’t want to make a shooter.

As soon as the mosquito was ab. 100m, the game shut Blender down!
This is to 95% because of the sound actuators.

For the “fun” problem I suggest copying other free-roam games a bit, like in GTA you can use vehicles and destroy them, also there’s other people.

First off: I have downloaded it a long Time ago but I knew it would not work as I use 2.6. (To be honest, I do not know how to start older Blender Versions when I have more recent ones in the same Folder – maybe I am just silly.^^) So I cannot judge the Game itself, as for now.

That can be very easy or pretty hard. In Fact, you »just« have to make it fun. But what is fun? As you see, the mere Abilities that the Player has (climbing etc.) don’t make it fun… think of Games that you would consider fun, and think of what they would have to lack in Order to be no Fun anymore…
~ Sounds
~ Music
~ Animation
… first of all, Sounds make a Lot, really. I’ve got no Clue the Goos in World of Goo say »Yamako!« or »Bro-ding!«, but it is really funny.^^
Second, Music makes the World go round. It sets the Mood. Now, due to a Sound Bug I played Half Life without any Music – well, it fit, somehow. But imagine most Games that you know without Music. Some Games, like Jet Set Radio Future, really live from just their Music. Also, some Time ago I played Gothic 3 with all its Patches… but the Music – some of the best in the Gaming Industry – was sooo depressing at Times… so the Hell, I muted it and ran a Playlist full of Stuff like Drum’n’Bass and Classic 8-Bit Music… which didn’t fit, but the Game was much more fun this Way. :smiley:
And then there are Animations. One one Hand, this can be done the obvious Way – like I really had to laugh when the Player Character of Bongo Hop took a Shower in the recent Video. But mostly, Animations are an essential Way to bring Things to Life and to define Character, but with that I also mean the Ways Things move: Making Things juicy is one of the first Rules for the Developers of World of Goo, so keep in Mind that Things in your Game should move smoothly and charming.

These three Things, however, can be very difficult to achieve – if one thinks too technical.
Try to think as an Artist. Find your own artistical Strengths and polish them to be as charming as can be.

I guess that the Main Message doesn’t really work in English, so I have to break one of my Basic Rules on this Forum and…
Man sollte nicht merken, dass du dich bemüht hast. Natürlich musst du dich bemühen, aber wenn a’m Ende eben auch das Produkt sehr »bemüht« ist, dann hält sich der Spaßfaktor natürlich auch in Grenzen.