Gushing spheres - with no spheres passing through each other.

Hi there, hope someone can help me – I’m trying to figure out how to make a number of small spheres move (gush) from right to left. I’m thinking that particles should be able to do that but so far when I try it the spheres go through each other – I need the spheres to bump into one another not pass through.
I saw a soft body animation in the Blender animation gallery called Soft Boy (by Andy). As far as I can see the little blue objects avoid each other, they don’t merge. Does anyone happen to know how this was done? Does the physics engine need to be used – I have no idea how this works.

Many thanks

two options: you figure out the path for each sphere, or you let Blender’s Game Engine and physics simulator figure it out.

For the GE approach, put the spheres on the right side of an inclined plane. Tilt your camera so the plane “looks” level. Turn on Record Physics to IPOs in the Game Engine menu and run it. Now each sphere will have an IPO curve that traces what it did. ANIM it out to a movie, and by jove, you’ve got it!

Thanks for that - shame you can’t key the strength of the gravity as I wanted the speed of the spheres to gush then slow down then gush again.

Well, you could try to vary the friction of the surface through multiple materials, and that should slow them down. I just found that option this weekend while writing this http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Material_Options see bottom of page.

Well spotted PapaSmurf, that should work.

I have to create a large pile of spheres (and other shapes) for the game engine to work with - do you happen to know how to get Blender to produce a large number of shapes or do they need to be created one at a time (or duplicated).

Thanks

you could write a script to spout objects all day long, but manually you have the array modifier, dupliverts, dupliframes, and lastly the power of 2 - make an object, duplicate it. shift-select original, duplicate them (4), shift-select them all, duplicate (8), and repeat.

You have to individually have an IPO curve for each of them, as they will bounce off each other etc. For the first ones, if you delete the LocZ curve/channel in the IPO curve, then multiple objects can share the same IPO curve and will gush together.