Gyes : RMG and RTG ( Random Material and Texture Generator )

has anyone actually used this on a project? i cant determine wether or not this would be useful to have in the pipeline, my pipeline i mean

sure i can do that as well, consider it included.

not sure what you mean by this…?:confused:
I mean additionaly to randomly assigning specific materials to objects, i can do the same for faces of an object

I will definitely keep an eye out, thanks for all the help. just curious, do you have an estimated release date?

It will be released either this weekend or the next weekend, I mean the update with your request. Cause the final release will be more than 3 months from now, there still alot of features to be added :wink:

It wont be useful in case you aim for a specific material and know exactly how to achieve it.

RMG/RTG is useful for the following 3 cases:

1. you dont want a specific material/texture just searching around for something really original and surprising

2. you want something specific but cant figure out how exactly to achieve and find yourself testing various parameter settings all the time. (this addon is an excellent learning tool)

3. you aim for specific material/texture , know how to achieve it , but you would like to try some diffirent variations of it just for fun and curiosity.

In the above 3 cases RMG and RTG can speed up your workflow 10 even 100 times .

Of course installing and giving it a try shouldnt take you more than 10 minutes , randomisation itself takes only a fraction of a second . You can then decide if it fits to your workflow or not.

Ok I got kilon-Gyes-5a7d50c.zip from github. Inside that zip is a folder name gyes and inside gyes are two folders (doc and lib) and 5 py files (init,random_landscape_generator.py,random_material_generator.py,random_texture_generator.py and reload.py) this is a different structure then what is described on the tutorial video or on http://kilon.blogspot.com/.

The init_.py file leads me to believe that this folder is a package or module. I am trying not to be picky but I think that the installation instructions should reflect what the user will see on his computer exactly. That way you get a lot less questions like " My screen does not look like that one"

Nevermind. I went to the previous page in this thread and found the updated installation instructions

ok here we go

I updated the history with your feature request and more so now

a) you can have multiple histories, till now the history was one with multiple indexes , each index being a diffirent material. However now history is divided to slots, each slot can be a group of materials with each index having a diffiren material. This give you the ability for further organisation of materials to groups (slots) and this way you are never lost in long lists of materials :wink:

b) As you requested now its possible to import all materials that are compliant to a filter text , lets says for example all materials that contain the text “zebra” . Bare in mind that the text is case sensitive so you will have to have an exact match. To be precise a filter “zebra” wont import to history your material “Zebra1” but it will import the material “zebra1” it will also import “azebraiscoming” (always assuming that materials with such names exist).

I have not implemented yet the random material assigner for faces but It should be included in the next update soon.

By the way, I am planning to drop the idea of documenting my addon via youtube video and instead document it in the blender wiki , it will be easier for me and you . I might keep uploading videos only for demonstration purposes.

ok here we go

I updated the history with your feature request and more so now

a) you can have multiple histories, till now the history was one with multiple indexes , each index being a diffirent material. However now history is divided to slots, each slot can be a group of material with each index having a diffiren materials. This give you the ability for further organisation of materials to groups and this way you are never lost in long lists :wink:

b) As you requested not its possible to import all material that are compliant to a filter text , lets says for example all material that contain the text “zebra” . Bare in mind that the text is case sensitive so you will have to have an exact match. To be precise a filter “zebra” wont be able to locate your material “Zebra1” but it will locate the material “zebra1”.

Awesome!
downloading now, thanks!
will report if any bugs.

edit: err…what happened to the activate, animate, X, R, buttons?
the slots are great, will really help with organization, and the filter works great as well. but the buttons are gone…?

Yeah sorry for that, the buttons appear when the index selected is not empty. Its actually not a bug, its a feature.

:wink:

My intention was to disable the activate button if the index is empty, and in process accidentally disabled the other buttons too. But this is now fixed and it should work as expected with the latest download.

Ok I have some great news, the addon is going to be included in Blender Contrib and also … drum rolls…

IT HAS A WIKI!!!

Gyes wiki is in blender wiki and the latest download will link you to that. Every wiki page is linked to other wiki page but I give you the link anyway

General information about Gyes, main wiki page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/System/Gyes

RMG wiki page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/System/Gyes/RMG#Simple_Mode

and History Tool wiki page

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts/System/Gyes/History-Tool

now I work in RTG wiki page which should be up and running in the next hour or so. I hope this wiki explains everything to your about my addon in an easy to understand way. Please dont hesitate at all to comment on the wiki about any further clarification. Have fun with this.

Oh for any bug or feature request , the reply box is downstairs :wink:

All things must come to the end and the same applies for RMG. I decided to end the project. RMG like Gyes is at version 1. From now on any further updates will be either bug fixes, gui refinement and small feature requests.

Templates idea is abandoned for now but the good news is that I will start working on a Material Librarian.

I would like to thank all the people who commented on this thread and I want to thank all people who helped me make this addon reality , in particular der_on , meta-adrocton , ideasman_42, littleneo and zeffi. Dont hesitate to contact me through this thread for any question, bug fix or small feature request. I wont be developing this addon anymore as I feel that it does work quite well for now, far exceeding any randomisers for material and textures that I have seen in blender. I wont be developing it anymore but I will certainly keep an eye on it and make sure it works in future version of blender.

I am also in the happy position to inform you that this addon is now in contrib , so any of you who get any build from graphicall with contrib included , you already get the latest update of Gyes. Thanks and see you on my next project.

Great work! Will definitely have a play with it.

I decided to end the project.

oh well…at least it’s in a very usable state!
thanks for all your help, it works great now. you dont get that kind of instant feedback with closed source! :wink:
i submitted a blendernation post about gyes, because i dont think many people know about it. it’s extremely useful and powerful.

To be honest when I started this project I did not intend to be 1288 lines of code , with a tons of features inside. I did not intent to randomize textures . I did not intend to offer full customisation on the randomization. I did not intent to invent a new tool for blender to store data that will be easier to organise than conventional material lists. I did not intend that tool to be saved with the blend file. And of course I did not intend to import materials based on text filters :wink:

I did not intend many things. I was a noob , did not know what the hell I was doing , I was just toying with an idea.

But I managed to do all those things, and loads more that are documented in the wiki. I certainly did not imagine that my first attemp with python and blender addons would be included in the contrib. It was so fun that I could not stop.

The thing is that for me I consider this project to have come far away, I dont want to say that I am a super coder , far from it (though I like to use the term “python wizard” for fun) , I am still very noob. But if you look into the history of blender from version 1 to version 2.6 , there have been some texture and material randomisers but nothing that offered the level of control of GYES. Probably I could go even further, but I dont try to prove how great coder I am, cause I am not . I prefer making addons that people really need and use.

thanks for all your help, it works great now. you dont get that kind of instant feedback with closed source! :wink:
Thats the beauty of feedback isn’t it and even though this project is finished , I would not mind to add a couple feature requests more if I consider them essential enough, not for one but for many users.

i submitted a blendernation post about gyes, because i dont think many people know about it. it’s extremely useful and powerful.
WOW thank you so much, Its great for Gyes to get more exposure, its certainly a motivation for me to keep going and make the whole effort more fun.

I like to inform people here that I decided to drop the idea of material librarian that can show thumbnails. I had the oportunity at last to look into cycles and draw 3 conclusions

1. cycles is already excellent way to preview materials
  2. cycles is the future of blender
  3. cycles is not yet matured enough to develop on it an addon

So my next project will be porting lithosphere and updating ANT , or to be more precise I intend to create a Ecosystem builder, starting with a terrain generator. Already speak with developer of lithosphere and I have porting some of the code, it will take some time till I release the new addon but I can promise you it will worth the wait.

By ecosystem I mean that you wont be able just to build terrain , but also river, trees, rock , cities , asteroids, planets and even solar systems :wink:

Its an ambitious project that probably will take me years to complete and it will bridge many addons like Plant generators, tree generators, littleneo’s city generators, rock generator and any future addon that comes out that is related to my project.

As “taste for things to come” I link screenshots and videos from lithosphere, they are going to impress you :wink:

http://lithosphere.codeflow.org/screenshots.html

Have fun and see you soon :wink:

I think this script would be good for when you are intially building a scene. Where youa re just laying out the objects in the scene to see the relationships between them. To get the scale and postioning right. Rather then have the default gray you could have different materials on each object that way you would have visual cues as to which object is which.

At least that is what I will use it for.

New update. Now Gyes works for all types of objects and not just meshes. I have also improved the Gyes log messages so you are informed for the exact actions Gyes performs.

As always there is nothing to download, latest builds from graphicall or blender website will come with the latest version of Gyes included which you will find in “testing” section of the addons browser. Have fun.