H6 | Andrietta Concept

Hello,

Behance link: https://www.behance.net/gallery/148113291/Andrietta

I just wanted to present my Andrietta concept. The design process for this car was a new “hybrid workflow” evolution for me now that I work within a structured industrial design studio incorporating Rhino 7. The real purpose of this project is to keep pushing on the integration of Blender into a professional industrial design environment. Blender keeps gaining traction in the automotive design space and product design space, I see it so much more than just a gaming and asset creation tool.

Much like my past work, I developed the rough model by creating my curve networks and “sculpting” in Blender 3.0. Blender continues to be a way for me to get a good idea of how surfacing complexities can be approached as the project developed.

Somewhat similar to my workflow over the last few years. Except now, that starter work is imported into Rhino as FBX and refined in Nurbs. Basically meant to be a demonstration to some of my design colleagues on how Blender and software like Rhino can work together in the design development process. Blender continues to be a phenomenal ideation tool for its speed and concepting tools. Something that’s become a lot more accepted amongst the industrial design community over other CAD software.

47 Likes

Nice car, and renders. Love that design is "modest’, believable, without fancy exaggerations. People forget golden rule that less is more.
However love to see front and rear of car.

2 Likes

Thanks Alekba,

I try. See below for front and rear renders. One of my favorite quotes comes from Polestar’s CEO on modern design,

“You walk through a street where lots of cars are parked, and all of them are shouting at you. It’s a very arrogant attitude, to actually molest the people with these expressions. You feel like, ‘come on, have a certain decency’. Some class would be appropriate."

9 Likes

Nice. Especially back of car. From my Personal point of view back is often problematic in car design. You have car which look god from front, side, above… but like most of designers are tired when they work on back. So you can see back design which don’t ‘match’ other views or very often these days, designers overdesign back, adding bunch of elements which make visual noise.

1 Like

I agree. And thank you. It’s something I always try to go for. A lot of studying of all the designs out there. Rare to find something I like front to back.

Created these last renders to study some more angles a bit more in different lighting.

9 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

thanks Bart!! have a great weekend!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Nice concept, I wonder how you deal with SubD conversion into the messy Nurbs topology automatically generated to use it in CAD workflow.

1 Like

@LRosario Love the design as always. I like how you can always tell that a car on the featured row is yours, just by looking at the thumbnail. I would be curious to know when your cars hit the market, wouldn’t mind seeing this one instead of a Tesla :wink:

To what extent will the Nurbs and Rhino workflow be covered in the tutorial? There aren’t many high end Rhino surfacing tutorials out there, but I presume you’ve used its SubD workflow?

1 Like

Very nice!

1 Like

thanks bart!

There’s not really a conversion process that I do when going from Blender. Meshes do import pretty smoothly (FBX) from Blender to Rhino, but from there it’s basically a redesign. I think of Blender as “digital clay” because it’s easy to push and pull surfaces in subsurfacing and then I use Rhino as my final process for more solid surfaces and technical details.

1 Like

Thanks. In terms of a tutorial, it’s not really a public thing yet. It was meant to be a discussion for my internal members that i work with.

I can say that I am working with Chris Plush at CG Masters on something that will eventually piggyback on his latest car design course. He has a great community of followers, a lot of his course is seen inside the car design community so it would be a logical step to eventually build off of the hard work he’s currently doing.

2 Likes