Haggis502 Random Props

I have recently sent out to make everything on my desk, in order to up my modelling, texturing, geonodes, and gasp maybe learn UV unwrapping.

Thumbnail

A basic model, the most complex part are the numbers and lines done in geonodes. Below are the nodes:

The node under the transform at the bottom of each frame has 30 node groups to generate the numbers.

Glass:

Doing some caustics.

4 Likes

I have been thinking about the numbers and lines, and while my geometry node set up works, it doesn’t look like it has been printed on the ruler. How would one go about doing this with textures? or maybe use the geometry from the geometry nodes to paint on the ruler’s attributes with geometry proximity?

1 Like

After gasp UV unwrapping the ruler, you could bake the numbers and lines onto the ruler texture with cycles.

UV Unwrapping feels completely beyond me on anything more complex than a cube. The proximity idea required an absurd amount of geometry, so UV it is😪(but it could work)

1 Like

UV unwrapping isn’t really that bad on hard surfaces.

When I’m unwrapping a hard surface model, I usually follow this workflow (or something similar):

• Select all of the sharp edges and corners of the object. This can be done automatically by selecting one of them and choosing select similar sharpness.
  • Mark them as seams.
  • For cylindrical elements, make sure to mark one edge on the side as a seam. (preferably on the back)
  • UV unwrap the model with everything selected.
  • Pack the islands.
  • Do some manual cleanup if necessary.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I ended up going with a combination of geonodes and baking. Subdivide the mesh, raycast from the lines onto the mesh, then bake out the generated attribute to a texture. Then I could turn off the subdivision, and continue.

1 Like

Really weird error, bug, whatever. When I do the texture bake, it only bakes the inches numbers and lines. @Charles_Weaver any ideas?

What type of bake are you attempting? Can you provide some more details please?

sorry, I really didn’t say a lot.

Below is what I get from my raycast subdivision node group.

This is what I want, but it is too heavy, so I am baking it to an image texture.

this is baking combined. I have tried diffuse as well, but it is the same thing.

I prefer to bake emission because it’s the most predictable and easiest to control.

I’d also recommend taking a look at your UVs. Generate a UV check texture so you can visualize it on the mesh and make sure there’s no errors.

An alternative method to the proximity attribute that preserves quality is a selected to active bake. After enabling selected to active, you can select the ruler guides, make the ruler itself active, and bake the text onto the ruler texture.

Good luck! Baking can be a bit finicky sometimes.

After messing around, it suddenly worked.

1 Like

I love it when that happens.

1 Like

Results after a bit of texture painting to mess it up.

3 Likes

Mousepad:

1 Like

A shovel:

this is the work in progress version, which rendered without the hdri for some reason.

I am getting into texture painting, but it makes my Ryzen 7 4700u cry.

Below is the improved model:

2 Likes

This is the final model.

I am happy with the topology, and the general shading of it, so I am going to keep moving and start another project. Will definitely be learning substance painter sometime.

1 Like

just kidding, another render

Now am making my desk.

1 Like