<Solved!> Hair Artifacts & Discolored Ends

I’m new at this particular set-up in Blender so I apologize for the stupidity, but I for the life of me cannot figure out what’s missing:

Chunky hair strands? Bad dye job? Neither good!

I followed the CGCookie method, as well as a few others, but the results are either worse or hardly noticeable. What node set-up could possibly fix this mess? Maybe a setting hiccup? Any ideas are much appreciated.

PS: I already attempted to change the dds to png, also, but wound up backfiring.

My guess is that you need to change the alpha mode of that texture from “straight” to “pre-multiplied” in the image editor, but it’s hard to tell without having the texture on my end.

If that doesn’t work, try exporting the alpha channel for the texture out as a separate black and white image and use that for the factor.

I wouldn’t doubt the first assumption is the prognoses, however, I can’t seem to locate those options in their usual locations. Perhaps it would be easier to include the blend. file, for better reference?

.BLEND File

The setting I’m talking about is in the panel that appears when you press “n” while your cursor is in the image editor:

That setting affects the image’s node in the node editor.

BTW, I don’t have the textures for the model because you didn’t pack its textures into the blend file. You can do that by going to File > External Data > Pack all into .blend:

Oh boy, that’s my bad; your patience on my behalf is appreciated.

PS: I did switch the alpha on the eyelashes as a test, unfortunately, nothing changed:

.BLEND File

I figured it out. There were a couple of things wrong. The main issue with the hair is that there are identical hair objects in the exact same position on the head. I had to move the extra hair objects to the side to get rid of the odd black artifacts.

It also seems like leaving the alpha setting on straight is the correct choice:

I said set it to pre-multiplied because the screenshot you shared earlier had a white outline around the edges of the texture. It seems like you only get that artifact when it is set to pre-multiplied:

The textures that aren’t hair seem to have alpha channels so you should turn alpha off for those:
Alpha On

Alpha Off

Here is the fixed blend file:

Very strange that’d important with two hair meshes, but either way, thank you so much for helping me fix this! <3