Hair guides created from mesh objects

hi mill is it possible if you can show a screenshot of your workaround with importing Maya curves or ZB fibers in Blender? Thank you

hmmm no reply on both my initial questions, anyway hereā€™s my first atempt using the HaiNet addon. As I said before, thank Jandals this addon is fantastic and easy to use. So far my hair styling is far from perfect but perhaps after more practice of planar hair positioning then Iā€™ll get this right. Hope you guys like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

how to use ā€œadd hair from curvesā€? I have selected all the curves and then the mesh, ctrl+a has been applied on curves/mesh, but why the result seems so strange? Thanks

Btw. in the addon, line 507 should be hairGuides = [red]self.[/red]fibersToGuides(hairObj) which I have committed on the github

1 Like

well, I fount that the curve must be only ONE object. So we I have to merge all the curves in the above example, now everything is ok

Hi great job so far itā€™s looks really good but you know what would make it better if you add the ability to make the bases of all the hair meshes spread out over the entire head. Like if you had a cube and scaled one side/face way up. Nevertheless great job

Cheers

How can I use the ā€œstrandā€ options? I really like the stand method, but I donĀ“t know how to apply it with Hair Net. Became popular because 3D Artist magazine, again.

@Oyster Did you just draw the curves and then selected the cube, then ā€œadd hair from curveā€?

What a great addon, not sure how I couldā€™ve missed it. Any chance of getting it for 2.8?

So far, Iā€™m not able to debug whatā€™s preventing HairNet from working in 2.8 because of another bug related to particle edit mode. So if that gets fixed, I can keep updating it but until then, I may be stuck for now.

4 Likes

Has the other bug been sorted?

Not yet, RealityFox.

no worries! Just wondering.

Can you share this blender file, that reproduce what we see in the image?

I added the PubExamples file to the ā€œreleasesā€ page on GitHub. It includes the two scenes in the picture above and a couple others. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Hi @Jandals,

Please check, because the zip file only has one file HairNetPubExamples.blend with only one sampleā€¦ lol
Thanks

Theyā€™re all there; each example is in a different scene.

1 Like

Jandals, thanx for the great addon. I just have a few questions.

1. Can new hair guides be created from sheet/fiber/curves? from my understanding and tests, your addon uses existing objects as guides, without creating native hairsystem guides.
  2. Is it possible to disconnect hairparticle system from from hairnet with changes preserved? Something like bake the hairparticles (not talking about the cache).

edit: found out new hair guides can be created with just going to particle edit mode and making very minor changes.

So your addon works like a charm. No issues converting curves to hairs.
But i have another issue not related to the addon. Over the simulation some hairs donā€™t simulate (usually shortest ones) making them longer doesnā€™t solve issue, subdividing curves makes more strands freeze. I would very much appreciate if anyone can give me some clues. Slowly going crazy

Edit. seems i found the issue. Hair simulation gets in problems if points in strands are not evenly distributed. More extreme the variations in distribution, more the chance sim wont work. To fix it i converted hair to mesh (convert in modifier tab) then used loop tools space function and then converted the mesh to curves and then the curves to hair with your addon. Quite a loop, but it works

Thanks for the updates, BlackRainbow. Iā€™m glad you resolved the trouble you were having. Making a small adjustment is, for some reason, necessary. Thatā€™s written in the documentation somewhere but I guess Iā€™ll have to make sure itā€™s in an easy-to find place.

I didnā€™t know about the evenness of hair vertices having an impact on a simulation. Iā€™ll have to see if I can accommodate that somehow.

Thank you for a great addon! without it my hair workflow would be impossible.