Hair guides created from mesh objects

hi Jandels, awesome addon. by any chance is there one for 2.80

Eventually. There’s currently a bug in Blender that needs to be fixed before HairNet can work with 2.80.

4 Likes

thank you man

Has anyone checked this in 2.8 in awhile? I didn’t get it to work but I might be doing something wrong. GREAT plugin btw! Exactly what I was looking for… but I’ll probably have to rebuild things in 2.79 just for this.

The entire human race is waiting.

I checked it today. Blender still has a break in accessing hair vertex data.

any update?

I’m having an issue with this plugin (still in 2.79). I’m adding a shape key to my mesh but a good portion of the hair is not following along with those vertex.

I’m using the mesh as the emitter and adding in extra UV in the plugin. Has anyone else seen this and most importantly, is there a solution?

Thanks for any help. This is a big one because it’s the last issue in getting a big job for me. If I solve this, I’m in the clear to use Blender.

Drat! I thought that had been resolved.

From what you described, what I believe is happening is that, when the hair system is created, each hair gets connected to a face in the mesh. When the hairs are moved into their final position, they are still “connected” to their original faces. So even though they may be positioned quite far from where they started, they still inherit movement from their original faces and vertices.

The workaround, for now, is to click “Disconnect Hair” and then “Connect Hair” in the Particle Properties window.

Some of the hairs will shift position slightly. I don’t believe HairNet has any control over that movement since it appears to be part of a routine within Blender. Hopefully it will be a small enough movement that it won’t matter.

1 Like

You just saved that project for me! The Disconnect Hair thing works!

While I have you. I end up having to comb the hair just slightly to get it to set itself. Is there an easier way to do that? If I don’t touch it in Particle Edit mode, it won’t allow me to edit the mesh and doesn’t give me options like Disconnect Hair.

Thanks a ton btw!

Hi there! How can i import hairs created in blender 2.79 back to blender 2.8? Everytime i try to do so everythind gets messy: i’ve exported in almost any format and appended directly from blender file, but here’s the result:

I know that it must be possible to do so, check this video (minute 10:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-EUMxnH-dM

Hoping the 2.8 bug has been fixed. I haven’t found another way of getting Zbrush curves as hair guides yet so it would be a life saver to get a working version for 2.8.

Is it blender 2.8 ? The hairnet addon version in the video is 0.4.11,does the hairnet works in 2.8 ?

No It doesn’t, you have to create hairs in 2.79 and then export them back in 2.80, but i don’t know how to do it

You should be able to just append the object with the hair into your 2.8 scene.

Edit: Alternatively, could you save a scene in 2.79 that’s been stripped of everything irrelevant to the hair (and I really mean everything), and then merge/append that scene into your 2.8 scene?

2 Likes

Not working, that’s the result i get everytime, i don’t know what to do

Are the scenes set to the same scale? (I’m not saying that’s the problem)

I’ve changed the scene scale but nothing changed, moreover i’ve tried to append it into another blender 2.79 file and it works without any problem. The real issue it’s blender 2.8 i think, because i’ve also tried to create a new file in 2.79 and then import it again in 2.8 but the result is the same.

Have you managed to import successfully hairs created in blender 2.79 with hairnet in blender 2.80?

1 Like

Not with hairnet. I was actually going to do that this weekend. Looks like it might be a futile exercise.

I know it isn’t ideal, but can you get your hair right in 2.79 and convert the hair into a mesh to bring it into 2.8, just until the problem’s fixed?