Hair - Medusa Nodes

If I understand you correctly, the hair system cannot know at which polygon (and in what place) should the point of origin of the hair be located?
That is, you need to pass this value to which polygon of which hair from the array belongs? I am looking at addons for generating hair system from curves. I would like to explore this.
And thank you for your answer!

UPD: after reading the branch from above again, I realized that you mean a uniform distribution of hair and their interpolation.

It is all about how the hair particles are generated based on the “hair guides” you created,it doesn’t store the information of the generated particles,it depends on some random seeds in the case of particle system.The thing is that GN have other methods to generate hair based on guides while the traditional system do not have them.Of course this is just part of the difference,personally I think the goal of the new hair system is to create hair that can not be represented by the old hair system,not just a way to make things more convenient to produce the same result.Sometimes you just realize something is impossible to be done in the hair particle system.

1 Like

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all your encouraging messages.
I decided to commit to writing of a little bit more serious addon, with some additional functionality.
It will take longer.
I will keep this thread updated.

Happy Holidays!

14 Likes

happy holidays and keep on working

1 Like

that’s just amazing !! ill check every thing u posted here thank u for sharing

1 Like

Good luck looking forward to seeing what you’ve cooked up!

1 Like

you should commit it to https://github.com/Upliner/CharMorph
as hair engine

2 Likes

This looks fantastic! Thanks so much for everyone’s hard work on this! Do you think it would be possible to add outlines to this (outside of the dilate/erode method in the compositor) in order to make more comic book style hair? I’m very new to making hair with geometry nodes.

1 Like

Thank you! I am not familiar with outline techniques in geometry nodes. It will be interesting to look into that.

1 Like

The project looks great, but I rather would like to work on my little addon.

2 Likes

I wrote a set of scripts that converts curves with profiles into particle hair. It’s not great but works. Your results look fantastic.

Having simple geo proxy that represent the shape of a complicated hair system would be ideal in my opinion. Being able to control the size and rotation of hair with curves is easy to work with.

Do you think it would be possible to turn curve profiles into node hair? Geo nodes are outside my experience still and I’m not sure what’s possible or how complicated it is to make.

Any news …?

Hello Syance,

Thank you for the kind words! I have never tried to make hair out of mesh primitives, it is probably possible, but I have no experience with that yet.

Nothing substantial yet, but I am going to make a little update post in the upcoming week.

86 posts were split to a new topic: Hair using Geometry Nodes

Does this method have potential for physics/dynamic hair? Collide with obstacles? React to character movement?

1 Like

Mind Blown!! Good on ya!

1 Like

It’s been a while since last update :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Sorry, for not coming back with anything new.
I’ve encountered some underwater stones in the process. But I am still on it.

There also was an unsuccessful attempt by me to somehow implement interpolation concept of @Xeofrios, (which is very cleaver) but without limit of chained node groups.

5 Likes

No worries and thanks for the kind update. You are all doing wonderful work, I have every confidence in your continued progress. Carry on ! :smiley:

1 Like