Hair Plane Generation Using Particles

I’d like to do a 3D character for an animation. That character is covered in hair, but I would like to avoid using the particle simulation as I want to use the viewport for rendering. I’d like to know if there is a way for me to generate polygon hair where the hair is made up of planes and each plane stems from a hair particle. Would this be possible using Blender?

You can do viewport renders with a hair/particle system.

You can also make a hair system using polygon hair, although you can’t simulate dynamics on it easily, without converting it first and then using some type of physics on it.

Yes, you can do viewport renders with particles, but it won’t have shadows or alpha. Basically, my goal is to use the textured view and GLSL shading in order to make the render look finished while cutting down on render time. You say that I can make a hair system with polygon hair. How could I go about doing this? Converting the hair and adding physics later might work.

I see about renders.

Can you show a image of the kind of hair you’re looking to create. And are you looking for some bounce, dynamics?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445255[/ATTACH]
Something like this would work, but I’d like to be able to brush the hairs down.

It is giving me an invalid attachement. I have seen weird cases where you yourself are able to see the image, but not others. Maybe rename it, upload it again.

Does this one show up?

Yeah. The only way I know how to make that is with a hair system, set to group, and a group of simple mesh objects uv mapped to a hair texture. You wouldn’t, as far as I know, be able to comb them though or use dynamics. The origin of the hairs should be at the base/root and I think they should be modeled lengthwise along y axis.

It seems that if I make the hairs long enough, I can alter the rotation of the planes by combing the hairs that they come from. I’m messing around with it now.

It seems that if I make the hairs long enough, I can alter the rotation of the planes by combing the hairs that they come from. I’m messing around with it now.

It does seem as if you can do a bit of combing, I had never tried, just altered the rotations through the advanced , rotation, section.

Yeah, this might work after all. Unfortunately, the viewport render thing won’t work because of the fact that alpha doesn’t render well in the viewport. However, this isn’t a big deal because render times should be much shorter since particle children don’t have to be used now.

Oh. Something I forgot to mention is that the combing only works when Advanced is checked under particle settings and Velocity/Hair under Initial Orientation is selected.