Hair question

I am curious how I can create hair that is closer together so that I can give it a final fantasy type of look. I also can’t figure out how to delete specific children hairs. Hmm…

What do you mean by closer together? Children you cannot control individually, but you can still tweak them (locally), including changing density, with vertex groups and/or textures.

Something more like this type of hair:

and less like the hair in this tutorial:

Yes, for that you need to control the hair density with a vertex group and/or texture.

For hair like what he’s wanting, it’d probably be easier just to create the basic shape out of geometry, then sculpt some light lines into it to imply it’s hair.

I’m pretty sure that’s what was done in his example image.

I have actually considered that, I’m just not sure how I could rig and animate it like hair without hair dynamics.

Pretty sure that example you provided is not hair particles but mesh with normalMap and Spec for strands, as Renzatic said.

What blender version are you using?

2.80, check out the RigFlex addon

2.7x, think I found it Jiggle Armature addon

I am using version 2.79. This add-on seems very helpful! but I still am not sure how I would create the hair material…

Any tips for creating a good hair material?

Eh, I’m not the best person to ask about this. I’ve only very recently started delving into the fuzzy side of Blender myself.

Oh, alright, but thank you for your help!

Hi, I’m not sure if you’ve solved your question about the material for your hair, but there is a great realistic/artistic hair shader that this guy named Chris Chuipka made and it’s free! Here is a link to the video. Cheers!

1 Like

Wow! This is wonderful! Do you know if this just works with particle systems or if this would work with a mesh?

Hmm, that is a good question. I do not know. Are you using a mesh rather than a particle system?

I’d like to just use a particle system but I can never get thick, dense hair. Please see the beginning of this forum for details. :slight_smile:

Okay. Is this kind of what you are looking for?

1 Like

Not necessarily that style or color, but density?

Yes!! That is! :grinning:

Cool! Here on some pictures on how I got that result.

First I created the hair system and set the number of hairs to 0. Set the length to what looks appropriate to you. This can be changed in particle edit mode though. I went into particle edit and added one hair at a time. That’s how I got these strands.

Then I set the children to simple and added 1000. This gave dense hair. That’s something you can tweak to your own liking. I reduced the radius of the children hairs and created a clump curve. Finally, I changed the Cycles Hair Settings.

Also, here are some other settings I had on.

That’s it! Hopefully this will help with what you are trying to do.

1 Like

Maybe Hurricane hairstyle?