hair secondary animation (as seen in @ndy's snowman)

i never bothered before with hair/fur in blender - until i saw the snowman animation (see bottom of the following page:

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Misc_improvements.355.0.html :o

if you look closely, you’ll notice secondary animation (the hair is swinging).

now i managed to get decent looking hair, but without swinging. how is that done? any settings i’m missing?

I´ve seen the anim and I guess that all the hair movement is due to the skin motion (it´s only following it). I may not be right, thou…

You need to duplicate the mesh a few times. If you look at eeshlo’s blend at the bottom of this page:

http://www.stormpages.com/eeshlo/otherBlender.html

he has a fair amount of readme and a python script (for 2.23) that does the duplication for you.

%<

i thought the same first, but i don’t think so. compared with the size of single hair strands the deformed volumes are much larger, and i doubt a bending movement of the neck affects hair swinging on the upper-arm. really, watch carefully and concentrate on one spot, e.g. the upper arm. you’ll see what i mean.

ps: i pm’ed @ndy, hope he shares his skills with us :slight_smile:

I agree, It looks like the wind moves it, not just the skin under it. He acheived a very nice effect. Perhaps, and I’m just taking a wild guess, he moved the hair. :wink:

every single hairtip?? hardly :wink:

argh! i never get the notice email when a pm arrives… dang, my mailbox is full! :o

anyways… the hair animation is very hard to control.
i have faked the wind motion with a cloud texture in the 8th texture slot. as you know, this slot can be used to manipulate the particles’ force.

BUT! here’s the problem: the texture space doesnt apply to the model in a correct way [and that is important for animating, e.g. for offs keyframing]. when the texture offset is animated, it isnt applied to the particles, even though they are recalculated every frame.

if a particle emitter is parented to an armature, the texture isnt fixed on the objects surface. so when the armature moves, the whole particles jiggle.
i used that ‘error’ to animate my hair.

uhm… that made any sense?
i hope you understand my gibberish :stuck_out_tongue:
.andy

ahhh… ok. texture was my last thought, too, but i didn’t know abt. the “8th slot” and the error you used to your advantage :slight_smile:

thanks alot, will try.

best regards, marin

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but could someone give a quick tutorial or even a blend on how to make hair/fur like this?

I assume you would make a copy of your mesh, and then edit it to remove vertices where you don’t want hair. Is this right?

Also, I can’t ever get the static particles to look like one segment. They always appear to be spheres side by side.

And how do you make the hairs taper (like they do in @ndy’s)?

Thanks

this is described very good in the old blender book (the official 2.0 guide), which is available online an blender.org

Sorry to bring up this thread again, but could someone give a quick tutorial or even a blend on how to make hair/fur like this?

Also, I can’t ever get the static particles to look like one segment. They always appear to be spheres side by side.

I have the same problem.

As solmax said, it is well documented on the 2.0 manual.

In a nutshell, you give the particles a halo material and make the halo size as small as blender would allow (0.001), and then you narow it even further with the color-band. If you manage to narrow it enough it will look like “thick” hair. %|

By really pushing the envelope with the color-band trick I have managed to created “thin” hair, but it looks kind of transparent, so not very usable for most situations.

Where can I find original documentation or any documentaion on manipulating a particles force with a cloud texture using the 8th texture slot/channel in the way Andy talks about above?

I have not seen it in any of the Blender books/manuals that I have.

For MIDIJE:

I found it here:

http://download.blender.org/documentation/oldsite/oldsite.blender3d.org/154_Blender%20tutorial%20Particles.html

But as it seems they keep moving things around or hiding things in obscure dark corners of the internet, in the future you can also usually find stuff fairly fast using Google with key words such as ‘Blender’, ‘oldsite’, ‘particles’, or if you remember the author’s name ‘Predrag’, etc.

Hey, Thanks a lot!

I wonder why I can’t find anything in the manuals.

Thanks again

Can someone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? I am trying to animate a mesh that has particles with Blender 2.34

I created a simple sphere mesh and hit the subsurf button at level one. I added a armature with 6 different bones to deform the sphere. Then I animated the sphere by setting keyframes for the bones over a 170 frame animation.

I now add static particles to the mesh (sphere) and render but the particles do not move with the sphere.

Under the static button, there is an “Animated” button.

If you don’t already, try turning that on.

That’s it! Thanks a lot.

Thank’s a lot. Here is a small test:

http://www.cyberlecs.hpg.ig.com.br/temp/fur.jpg

this is very beautyful grass :slight_smile: