Hair Simulation Crashes Blender

I need to know why when a simulation is run on this blender file:
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/35992
Blender crashes and disappears, and how to prevent its doing so.

Bakes without problem for me. The hair isn’t probably doing what you wanted but no errors or crashes. Possibly a memory issue. Win 7 pro, i5, 16 gb ram, set to gpu.

I just ran your file, it doesn’t seem to be a memory issue that makes it crash since my memory wasn’t even pushed passed 512MB on both the GPU or system ram. Blender crashed after running the simulation.

Hmm, weird. It freezes on 2.74 nightly, but works on 2.73 stable. There has been a bunch of changes on recent builds to hair code. Try running the sim on 2.73 stable.

I was running it in Blender 2.74 stable when it crashed. Is this a bug I should report?

It is true the hair is not doing what I want. I need it to collide with body instead of swing through it. This is a problem I was working on when the crashes began. The crashes stopped that work.

Should a collision modifier also be added to the scalp vertex group that emits the hair?

I was running it in Blender 2.74 stable when it crashed. Is this a bug I should report?
It is true the hair is not doing what I want. I need it to collide with body instead of swing through it. This is a problem I was working on when the crashes began. The crashes stopped that work.
Should a collision modifier also be added to the scalp vertex group that emits the hair?

System information:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision T5600
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2603 0 @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Processor Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2603 0 @ 1.80GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Video Card NVIDIA Quadro 600