Hair Tool

commercial
add-ons
(Bernardo) #121

Hi! The addon looks great so I just bought the it! I wonder which one is the latest release for 2.79? I tried 2.03 and 2.04 and I get an error when trying to activate the plugin from the preferences:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\blender\blender-2.79b-windows64\2.79\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py", line 331, in enable
    mod = __import__(module_name)
  File "C:\Users\berna\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\hair_tool\__init__.py", line 120, in <module>
    from . import hair_tool_ui
  File "C:\Users\berna\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.79\scripts\addons\hair_tool\hair_tool_ui.py", line 180
    flipUVRandom: bpy.props.BoolProperty( name="flip UV Randomly", description="Alter the ribbon look by randomly fliping uv on X axis",  default=True)
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I will try previous versions, but maybe the problem is another?

Thank you?

0 Likes

I am using 1.9.7 on blender 2.79
everything works fine.

0 Likes

(Bernardo) #123

thanks for the answer. Yep, 1.97 worked on 2.79 for me as well. I guess the next two are for 2.8 already.

Do you know if there’s any big feature missing from the 1.97 compared to 2.0x?

0 Likes

(JoseConseco) #124

Ht 2.x are for blender 2.8. For now interactive hair combing works, and drawing ribbons with mouse like in video above, and spawning curves from grid surface.
Other things will be ported, as soon as bugs inside blender itself will be fixed by blender devs.

3 Likes

(Bernardo) #125

Thanks!
So the most feature complete version for now is the one for 2.79 if I understand correctly?

However, I am really enjoying using this plugin so far! Is there some counter indacation using it with blender 2.79 master?
At times yesterday I got some when converting grease pencil strokes to particles, especially when trying to append new strokes to an existing particle system. I did not save the message unfortunately, I will as soon as it shows up again and post it here. However I was wondering if there is some known things to avoid during this process?

0 Likes

(SidV) #126

I’m so glad i found this. I hope you keep developing it as this addon has so much potential.

I didnt bother using 2.79 and went straight to the 2.8. Following your only 2.8 video at the moment i noticed you are using a pie menu with different tools. Like the ‘Flip Hair Aniso’ wich i cant find in the hair tool menu to the right. How do i acces this Hair Tool pie menu?

I was fiddling with particle hair for days now, trying to figure out a way to get the dynamic collision system to work. And this adddon might be it. Simple mesh stripes that could work in a cloth simulation with collisions that actually work. Did you plan to implement some dynamic features based on cloth sim in the future?

0 Likes

(JoseConseco) #127

Hi @SidV - the Flip Hair Aniso should be there in latest HT version 2, 0, 4 for blender 2.8, and the hotkey for menu is ctrl+shift +H (but it can be changed addon in preferences) . The video you watched may be old (for blender 2.79) and in past panel was on left.
About cloth sim for hair, after you convert curve ribbons, to mesh ribbons you can generate weight gradient on each strand with this tool https://joseconseco.github.io/HairToolDocs/Tools/#add-ribbon-weights_1
And then you can use it for cloth sim, but I think it may be slow on bug amount of hair. So I usually recommend watching this video (not HT specific)
Sorry for late reply

0 Likes

(SidV) #128

Thank you for your reply. ctrl+shift +H works.

As for ‘Add ribbon weights’ i receive an Error Message. Please take a look.

0 Likes

(JoseConseco) #129

I have just released 2.0.5 fix for that.

0 Likes

(SidV) #130

Works like a charm now, thanks for the fix.

0 Likes

(SidV) #131

Simulating each Ribbon is slow alright. But i think i found a nice way to simulate almost in realtime with collisions. Well, reatime in Solid View due to the heavy shader :wink:
All it needed was a proxymesh for the head and the same hair grid mesh that i used for making the hair Very quick to setup. Still lots to improve but this is already very promising. Even longer hair shouldn’t be a problem. Here is a quick viewport render.

Edit:
Quicktest with long hair.

2 Likes

(JoseConseco) #132

Amazing result. So it is basically the same setup as in video mentioned here ?

0 Likes

(SidV) #133

No, the video you mentioned shows a soft body simulation without collision. I tested it, Its constantly jiggling and not really controllable. Also no option because it doesnt support collisions.

Instead i used cloth simulation. This is just the hair grid that gets simulated wich drives the poly hair strands via surface deform.

2 Likes