"Half life VR" tech

…so in this Half Life VR game, there’s tech where you can like, move stuff around in the game world - I saw it on BBC Click! eg. there’s items on a shelf, and you can take stuff from there and into your inventory or whatever, and it disappears from the shelf (in the game world!). I’m wondering where to get -started- creating stuff with tech like this? How do I create a world like this? Do I just follow normal Blender and Armory/Godot tuts or what? Or is Unreal Engine NECESSARY? (hope not).

Half Life Alyx runs on source 2. If you really want to check it out, just uuuh, get it. It’s got mod tools. Even if you don’t have a headset there’s ways to access the content with a traditional player controller. Just stuff like puzzles and certain interactions won’t work. If your goal is just to study it, there’s no harm in buying the game though.

If you want to know more about it without spending money on hardware or software, watch gameplay videos of people playing through the newly released developer commentary mode.

But honestly, this trepidation you feel about learning UE4 or Unity is something that should be nipped in the bud asap if you’re serious about researching into vr game design. You NEED to learn SOMETHING that other people actually use. You should not wait the indefinitely long wait for Godot 4.0 to come out before you start learning the principles. That’s ridiculous.

I’ll tell you one thing right now though. You should not try to make an experience comparable to Half Life Alyx by yourself. You will die.

They’ve made no attempt to ‘make a world like this’ before, don’t fool yourself into thinking they’re waiting for anything… the name is ‘justwannapost’, and their post history reflects just that. Every random thought that pops into their head: they just wanna post.

The question was ‘how do they make items dissapear?!!1!’, which… I guess it’d be better if they’d evolve, Pokemon-style, into ‘JustwannagooglebeforeIpost’

1 Like