Halloween Kitchen Scene

Hey Everyone!

I am relatively new to Blender (well, I have been using it for about 6 months or so, but I would consider myself new compared to most of you). Anyway, I have been working on my first full scene in Blender. It’s a kitchen scene that I am making for Halloween. I am going to have flourescent lights and blood on the floor, to make it spooky, but I am right now working on the actual scene itself, before I add special effects. I am looking for some (constructive, please) criticism on what I could do better with it. I know there are some problems I see, which I will point out as I go along. What I have right now is three major details:

First, there is the floor, which I think I did pretty well, with the minor exception of it maybe being a little too reflective.

Secondly, the walls, which are actually composed of a large number of smalled “Tile” objects. Of all the objects in the room, I think I am most pleased with these. The only major problem with them that I can see is that they aren’t lined up correctly in the corners of the wall (take a look at the visible corner, near the top). I am not 100% sure how to correct this, as the bottom parts of the wall seem to line up fine, but then there is some sort of deviation as it progresses upward. I think perhaps this could be due maybe to the wall not being 100% parallel to the Y-axis.

Finally, there is the table (I call it the “Retro Table” because I wanted it to be similar to those 60’s diner tables that you would see at a nostalgic diner.) It has a lot of different components, as I created it in a separate .blend file, and then appended it. My major self-criticisms with this are: (1) that the legs aren’t smooth (I tried to select them and hit “Set Smooth”, but for some reason, this didn’t work), (2) the section of decoration around the top of the table isn’t exactly fit to the edge of the table (it was a circle that I extruded around a bezier curve, then converted to mesh, so it has it’s faults), (3) the table might be just a little too big for the scene - the only way I can figure out how to correct this, and maintain the tile/table proportions would be to make the actual kitchen (i.e. the walls and floor) bigger, and zoom the camera out - and (4) the UV map for the legs doesn’t look quite right. I wanted a chrome effect, but that didn’t quite happen. I think this is in part because of the non-smoothness of the legs of the table.

I would greatly appreciate other critiques of this piece. It isn’t finished, but I am working on it, and hope to post here a lot with other things I work on.

Also - Is there a way to place an object at an absolute location (i.e. if I wanted something to be at exactly z=0, so that it is right on top of the floor)?

Thanks,

~J

P.S. I can post the .blend file to a website if you would like to look at it to give me some advice.

Attachments


If you press “n” it brings up a coordinate window so you can make precise alterations. Also, if you want to move something without doing it that way, place your cursur where you want to put something then press “shift+s” and then select “selection-curser” and the object will move there, you may need to adjust the hight up or down because it will place the objects absolute center to the curser. Also, if you need to get your curser exact, you can use that same command to snap the curser to the grid or a vertex. Play around with it.

For the walls and floor, you could drop the reflextion down by half if not more, I’ve never seen tile that reflexs that much.

As far as the tiles lining up, it’s hardly noticable, and probably only other artists would see it and only if they are nit picky. Besides, you should see my bathroom, looks like the plumber was drunk when he did my tiles, nothing lines up at all. Making it too precise IMHO is almost unnatural.

The table legs look fine to me, as is the rest of the table. I want to see the halloween stuff added!! Keep it up. :slight_smile:

Holy crap. It’s my grandmother’s kitchen table! I didn’t think anyone knew what that looked like.

Seriously. You seem to know how to mesh well. Looking good so far.

You can save yourself a lot of resources and rendering time if you made the wall from a single plane, and used an image/bumpmap of tiles.

The floor looks a bit too shiny and too flat. No bump.

Visit my Blender Render Gallery. You’ll find a bathroom tile wall (on page 2), created from a bitmap/bumpmap.

Check out my Kitchen Tile Floor. Scroll down and see the UVmpas and Bumpmaps of the floor. Click through the pages of that thread and see how I made the floor look more realistic.