Hand prints texture. Last texture problem ...for now (XD)

For the final part of the tutorial I’m following, I need to add some texture paint to my foggy and rainy window. I’ve applied the smears and hand prints I want via texture paint, and I’ve tried adding the texture to my node setup. However, I can’t seem to do it right. The most I’ve been able to do is make them black, but surely they would need to be transparent…? How would I do this properly?

Here’s Andrew Price’s version:

Instead of uploading a tiny image of my node setup, I’ve uploaded my save file.smears_10_09_19.zip (2.8 MB)

When the smear texture does show up, they’re being ‘merged’/combined with the rain droplets and streaks, which are all a part of the same material. Figuring out how to have the smears ‘cut into it’ is what I’m struggling to achieve, I guess.

No one…? :-\

Make it the factor (fac) of a mix node
So your rain droplets/hard water stains or whatever, plug into a mixrgb or mix shader where the fac is the black/white pattern of your handprints, filtering them out

1 Like

Not sure if this is right/is what you meant…

This result is usually the most I can achieve, but it doesn’t look right to me. You can’t see the image behind through the smears. For instance, you should be able to see the building where the hand print is.

Wait! I think I’ve got it! I threw a Math converter in between the Smears image and the Mix Shader and increasing that seems to be giving me the result I want. :smiley: