Hard Ops Thread

Question for you MX about Boxcutter. I’ve changed up my default controls a lot (recovering Max user) and have the latest Boxcutter installed on 2.8. It works fine but for the life of me I can’t get it to bevel any of my boxes. I tried using the mouse wheel to no effect, and I’ve tried manually changing the settings on the top bar. Using either Draw or Bevel don’t do anything and I just end up with a cube. If I hold Shift to keep the box I can’t make changes to it after the fact either.

I’m certain it’s something I’m doing wrong and not an issue with your script (since it clearly works for you) but I was hoping you had some ideas on what I could look for. I looked through the keymappings but didn’t see anything that stood out.

Thanks!

In the prefs for boxcutter there is a debug option. Turn that on and show me the console if you dont mind. It should give proxe/ar more information on what is going on. Generally it should just be while drawing a box press b and it will bevel. But a large update is coming later today that should improve stability while adding new options and behaviors to explore.

But lets see the debug and output and it should give us an idea of whats going on. Or we’ll send an update out today in a few hours after flip is in.

2018-12-02_16-02-11

EDIT - Nothing to see here, folks. I had a brain fart.

Don’t make the mistake I did - during box creation hit B to bevel the box sides.

Ok so I think I’m just a total moron. I thought I had tried to hit “B” during the box creation process but I think I must not have because now it works fine. I think in my brain I had assumed that just rolling the mouse wheel during creation would add bevels but I see that is not the case. Like I said - I knew it was going to be something dumb I was doing wrong. :frowning:

the bevel tool whenever it is used will recall the last bevel done as well as let you start in a beveled state. If the last shape had a bevel.
2018-12-02_16-39-34

also it goes without saying a load factory settings attempt wouldnt hurt either. Just dont save the start up. And try and see if it works in the defaults. Already maxing it in 2.8 I see.
2018-12-02_16-42-25

2 Likes

excellent. Im glad you got it.

1 Like

Thanks, and thanks again. Sorry I wasted your time on that but I won’t soon forget the lesson learned here!

well we did lose the help. I loved that thing. But hopefully we can make it more user friendly and approachable this time.

Boxcutter 702 is out. https://masterxeon1001.com/2018/11/30/boxcutter-7-2-8-betascythe/q

1 Like
1 Like

Great Boxcutter is available in Blender 2.8.
I would like to request one important feature. There are quite some addons working with booleans, but there is only one where you can add a boolean mesh centered to edge, face or vertici.

What I do usually is go in Edit mode, select an Edge (or Face), cursor to selected. Go out of edit mode then add a cube, scale the cube etc. Then use boolean modifier. That seems the only way with all those addons I get my boolean mesh applied symetricaly.

I like boxcutter because you can quickly doodle around, but it’s sometimes a bit annoying that I cannot place the boolean mesh neatly in the center. So that means to clean it up I can symetrize things, or use a symetry tool on forehand. Or clean it up, in edit mode, but in that latter case my own old workflow works best.

I hope I missed something, or otherwise I hope another feature can be implemented.

yes.

Back in 2.79 we had a snap shape to cursor option that I loved, we hope to bring back better in 2.8. But these are some reasonable requests.

2 Likes

Ohw, that would the perfect tool for me then, good to hear.

Getting an error in 2.80 Beta trying to use the Hard Ops Mirror Gizmo (Alt+X)…

1 Like

API changed recently, this is new hops version adjusted to it if you update the blender it will work again.

Do you mean daily build vs the 2.80 beta?

EDIT: Just downloaded latest Beta and yes, problem solved, thanks rrtk! :slight_smile:

Just a note to say I really love the way y’all are using the top bar for the add-on settings, that is really convenient especially with boxcutter. Just finally finding a little time to try things in 2.8 and I am liking it a lot.

Once Asset Manager and Decal Machine are in 2.80 I think, as a hobbyist, I’ll be spending more time in it than 2.79. Even htough htere is clearly a way to go yet, having Boxcutter and HardOps in there means fun time is already here. :smiley:

2 Likes

i suspect Machin3 will be next.

2 Likes

Hello,
Just a question about the 0097 update of Hard Ops.
How can I get the update if I bought the 0096 on Blender Market.
Thanks in advance ! The addon is awesome :slight_smile: