Hard/software recommendations for blender on Linux?

If your going for external/portable hard drive,
make sure to back up your data once in a while to some place other as well,
cause if it dies, your screwed. :wink:

But I guess that goes for any hard drive so…

@ ideasman42: thank you for the note :wink:

I’d not say false…
I’m sorry you couldn’t be able to spot the differences, this can rely on the hardware configuration you used.

I admit Flash is not such a greatly optimized piece of software, the Linux version even less than the Windows one, but I think it’s undeniable the difference beetween a 32 bit program running ndiswrapper-emulated and the same version 64 bit compiled and natively running on your OS :eyebrowlift2:

I admit Flash is not such a greatly optimized piece of software
Understatement of the year. Congratulations pops a cork

[offtopic]
You should see the development environment and the language. It’s the only compiler in the world with paramnesia (false memories) and amnesia (it actually forgets declarations or mixes up storage classes and scoping). Photoshop made me think Adobe was staffed with geniuses, but Flash has revealed to me that they’re Forrest Gump – quickly running out of luck.[/offtopic]

Not to take this entirely off the rails but: On the exact same hardware, on 64 bit Windows 7 and 32 bit XP, Flash runs beautifully, full screen. NO problems, no stutters.On linux it is, as I have mentioned, a bag of ass. At no point was either of us mentioning the 32 bit with an ndis wrapper. I am not using that. I am using the 64bit version direct from Adobe. And, like I said, it runs like ass. If I set the process with a “high” priority it runs just a little better. But still far far worse than it does in Windows.

Actually flash was a macromedia technology, then acquired by adobe… your myth is save! :smiley:

what I said when

the 32 and 64 bit point is what I thought to add to discussion when considering 64 bit OS usage, I know neither of you mentioned it, I’m sorry if it sounded the opposite :slight_smile:

Another n00b question, on building your own linux box… should one generally begin by shopping for the motherboard first?

No. First choose your processor, then see what motherboards are available that match the socket that processor uses eg. 775 for Core II or AM2+ for AMD’s quad core processors. Choose one compatible with the graphics card you want to use and with the features you want (no of RAM slots, USB ports, form factor, etc).

Then get Compatible RAM, probably DDR2, though possibly DDR3 if you get a more expensive board.

Any other components should pretty much be compatible with anything.

No. First choose your processor, then see what motherboards are available that match the socket that processor uses eg. 775 for Core II or AM2+ for AMD’s quad core processors…
Any other components should pretty much be compatible with anything.

So from then, it’s just a case, power supply, and that’s it, except for the peripherals of course? Just a hard drive, network card, don’t need sound, optical drive for installation of linux, yes? Plug in a monitor to the nvidia card, standard usb keyboard and 3 button mouse, and that is that.

FaradayCage, did you look at the typical internet (or your home) seller for a complete one,
Quad core, 6800 gt and 4GB.
It is no problem to get one for about 350 € (500$). Put the dvd in and run.:slight_smile:

By mib