Hard surface modelling problems

Hello,

I have started to learn blender in december and I really like the results so far.

I’m working on a vacuum and I thought I would make every part separate.

While working on the battery I have encountered a few problems, some of them I managed to solve and some not. The edge around the light indicator is jaggy as you can see in the picture.

I have tried several methods and got more or less the same result.

What would be the best way to get a sharp edge given the fact that is a round surface?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

you need to show mesh.
You can use shrinkwrap modifier as base for model.

I think you use subdivision? …
Create the surface, you need use looptools > circle.

Then shrinkwarp for get the curvature ( or curve modifier will work too ).

But without seeing the mesh… hard to know where was your error

Yeeh, the most common issue in those cases are unclean toplogies. Especially if they are using subsurf or simliar modifiers.

But really hard to value only from the final render. At least a mesh picture with the wire-fram on, at the mentioned areas, but better the whole blend. You may take out shaders and/or textures, if your’re unshure 'bout c-rights :slight_smile:

Thank you for your answer and sorry for not posting the mesh. it was done using looptools but I haven’t used shrinkwrap .

Here is how the mesh is now and I’ll try to see how it looks after, will post an update.

Attachments

Thank you all for your answers and sorry for not posting the mesh. It was done using looptools but I haven’t used shrinkwrap so far. I’ll follow the tutorial posted by zcaalock to see if I can get it work. A lot of things to figure out at this point :slight_smile:

Here is how the mesh is now and I’ll try to see how it looks after, will post an update.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517577[/ATTACH]

Thank you all for your answers and sorry for not posting the mesh. It was done using looptools but I haven’t used shrinkwrap so far. I’ll follow the tutorial posted by zcaalock to see if I can get it work. A lot of things to figure out at this point :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your answers, I have attached the first and the last mesh that I have created, I have used a curve to make the hole at the end and it worked much better. I have tried with shinkwrap on the first mesh and I still didn’t get the result I wanted unfortunately(I must be doing something wrong definitely).

Here are the meshes and the latest result as well.

Attachments